• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help battery and internet issues

veedubmaster

Feb 21, 2011
hello all,

firstly I apologise for my first post being another battery question but to be honest im totally lost in all the advice ive read on literally hundreds of "battery threads"

im hoping i'll get answers to "my" problem rather than trying to weed out from many others what i or the phone are doing wrong.

I bought the HD for the single reason of excellent pics & video capabilities

im completely fed up of the horrendous battery life.

ive had some advice and have a task bar type thing across my home screen where I can turn wifi, BT and brightness on/off.

my home screen has a non moving wallpaper image of one of my boys.

im not into twitter/facebook or any other social site, to my knowledge I dont have weather switched on and havent any email accounts set up on it to update to.

I have only a few apps, daft stuff like whoopee cushion, a fart horn thingy and a few angry birds that I havent touched in weeks.

I check ebay at work the odd time in a day for no more than prob a min or so (just to see if anything in my ebay is ending)

I use the phone for maybe 20-30 mins per day to make calls and send prob 20-40 texts per day

ive got into a routine of charging it overnight as I have NO faith in it lasting passed midday the next day if not.

I can go to work at 6.30 am taking it off charge and by easily 8am its dropped from solid to missing a bar of green charge (like a missing bar in the old style mobile phones)

im a bit of a technophone really so am totally unsure of what can be zapping it.

ive gone into the settings and the "what's my battery using" tells me this

display 55%
cell standby 17%
phone idle 15%
voice calls 9%
android 4%

I dont have a battery % indicator, its just a green line and atm shows a little over half way.

The phone says its been 2hrs 51mins from removing from charge, so its dropped nearly half way in 3hrs ???

and ive been at home all day with the kids off school, so I havent checked internet once, made prob 5 mins tops of calls and prob 5 texts to mates rubbing it in that im off n theyre not :p

I intend to try the advice about charging/turn on/turn off etc etc and see if that does anything. I did the recommended charge for ages when first bought so am completely stumped as to what is wrong

on a side note, Im wanting to use my home internet router when at home on my HTC but although it says it can see my sky router it refuses to connect. it tries for maybe 10-15 secs then just says "disconnected"

the icon nearly always says E as well, is this a poor Vodafone internet signal or a good one ?

any help would be great as although Im getting fantastic pics/vids of my boys I have zero confidence in taking it anywhere really, which is mad because I do know its capable of so much more.:(

Install an app called Batteryminder from the market; that will give you an idea of how much battery life you actually have left as a percentage rather than the green bar (I find that a pretty useless indicator tbh).

If you've got an E as your signal, I think that means the signal is rubbish so your phone will be going crazy looking for a better signal which is a real drain on battery.

Regarding your Sky router, does anything in this thread help?

You may need to condition your battery too, there are plenty threads on here, but if you want me to fish out the best ones for you, let me know. :)

Also, have you looked at a portable battery charger? They're about a tenner on amazon.

Upvote 0
el presidente, im searching for the batteryminder as we speak.

how do I make it a better signal, rather than the E, can I do this or is it vodafones doing.

sorry I coudnt remember the term, yes im gonna follow the conditioning tonight & 2moro.

i'll read the highlighted sky link now

thanks for the info, its genuinely appreciated :cool:

Upvote 0
Just saw your response! The signal is a vodafone thing, there's little you can do about it I'm afraid. You can turn off 3G when you don't need it, that will help a bit.

Settings -> Wireless & Networks and uncheck the box that says "Mobile Network". If you want to add a shortcut to your homescreen for it, hold your finger down on an area of the screen which has no icons, then in the following menu select -

Widget -> Settings -> Mobile Network. You can do the same for Wifi when you don't need it too.

To turn on debugging, go to

Settings -> Applications -> Development -> check the box which says "USB Debugging".

For GPS, go to

Settings -> Location -> Uncheck the box that says "Use GPS Satelites"

What task killers are you using?

Upvote 0
thanks for the info.

task killers.........erm :eek: none I guess

I guess by the suggestion I "should" be using them :D

Lol, yes! Look for one called Advanced Task Killer by Rechild, that's one of the best out there.

When installed, it should appear in the pull down task bar. Every once in a while, open it and use it to kill all the apps you want closed. Whilst on the app screen, hit the menu button on the actual phone itself, change the auto kill level to Aggresive and the Frequency to every 30 mins.

ok, ive done the debugging thing, no idea what it does though lol

To be fair, neither do I, it just seems to make it stabler and less likely to crash. :)

Upvote 0
Regarding the wifi thing (just copied the relevant solutions from the thread) -

In my experience, this problem is all to do with the ‘Wi-Fi Sleep Policy’ in Android 2.2.

In order to cure it, carry out the following...

1. Click on ‘Wireless & Networks’
2. Click on ‘Wi-Fi Settings’
3. Press ‘Menu’ button
4. Click on ‘Advanced’ (bottom right of screen)
5. Click on ‘Wi-Fi Sleep Policy’
6. Check the ‘Never’ option.

You will find now that the constant ‘hunting’ after 15 mins or so with....... ‘try and connect again.... "Obtaining IP address" for your WiFi is cured. ;)

my home wifi network. Sleep = "never" was already in force.

What did work was changing the channel on my router. It had been using channel 3 but I read elsewhere that the Desire likes channels 11 and 6, so I changed the router to 11, rebooted it, and voila - everything's working again. I hope this might help someone else who has the same problem.

Beats me why it suddenly all stopped working in the first place, though, after months with no problems.

Also, some routers are funny about having new devices connect to them so you may need to configure your router.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones