• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Drain That mysteriously Improves

ajadamc29

Lurker
So my battery has been draining at least 10% an hour when usually I can last about a day and a half on the battery when not using it that much.

This seemed to happen right after I moved about a hundred miles and I noticed that I was getting the 50% without a signal issue. But I turned on and off airplane mode and that seemed to solve it.

At this time I also accidentally left my phone charging under a heavy pillow and overheated the phone. I thought the battery was shot, bought a new battery and still have the problem.

However, I live right outside of Chicago and both times I have traveled into Chicago within the past 2 days, the battery life returns back to normal even when I return back home. However, if I turn off the phone and turn it back on the battery is back to draining. Could this have something to do with the cell towers or my signal? My service doesn't seem to change despite how the battery life performs. Do I have to change my PRL?

I think I have diagnosed part of the problem now. For some reason every time the 3G is working is when the battery drains, and when the symbol isn't present at the top of the screen the battery is back to normal. Any clue why all of the sudden the 3G drains the battery?

This has plagued users since the inception of cell phones. Signal strength differences dramatically affect battery life, especially CDMA devices. One can go from great signal, to bad signal and back to great in a length of a few steps.

But I don't think I have a bad enough signal to drain my battery at home, and why after going to Chicago does my battery life improve to normal even when coming back? I would suspect that if it was the signal, the battery would return to being poor every time I go home?

The problem with CDMA 3G is as mentioned. When getting a strong signal the phone doesn't have to use up the battery searching for a signal and... Pulling it in.
Your battery stats could be all messed up as well. If you want you can download App Tyrant. Open it up. It will save all apps in there apk form to the SD card. Transfer all data from SD card to computer. If stock ROM, never been rooted, do a factory reset.
Open up the App Tyrant folder on the SD card (might be named "root uninstaller"). Copy all .apk's to root of sd card. Tap each on to get an install option.
Turn on Auto Sync.
Sign into your Google account from your phone.

Back
Top Bottom