• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery - Quick question needs quick answer!

Hello all, I'm new to the boards. Been checking out a thread here and there and I'd like to first of all thank all of you who contribute so much. It's greatly appreciated!

Anyway, I have a little problem. I bought my phone at the end of February and I like it except for one thing: battery.

Today (and yesterday and the day before) I woke up and noticed that the battery lost 25% or so of its charge overnight.

No I don't have wifi, bluetooth, internet, GPS enabled. Only thing I had was Juice Defender running and SetCPU (if that matters). I had these things on my Hero and battery was much better. The Triumph, no matter what I do, always seems to be using 4%/hr.
A few times, for some unknown reason, the battery only lost about 5% of its charge overnight.

Another thing: My time without signal seems to be high quite often. This morning when I woke up it was only at 1%. But I've seen it go up to as high as 60%+. This doesn't make sense because no one has ever told me they've tried calling me only to go straight to voicemail. Also, I seem to be getting texts without much delay.

Simple question: Is my phone defective? I need an answer because I wanna know if I should exchange my phone for the Optimus or if I should get a replacement. I really like this phone but 25% overnight?? Something is not right here.

Hello all, I'm new to the boards. Been checking out a thread here and there and I'd like to first of all thank all of you who contribute so much. It's greatly appreciated!

Anyway, I have a little problem. I bought my phone at the end of February and I like it except for one thing: battery.

Today (and yesterday and the day before) I woke up and noticed that the battery lost 25% or so of its charge overnight.

No I don't have wifi, bluetooth, internet, GPS enabled. Only thing I had was Juice Defender running and SetCPU (if that matters). I had these things on my Hero and battery was much better. The Triumph, no matter what I do, always seems to be using 4%/hr.
A few times, for some unknown reason, the battery only lost about 5% of its charge overnight.

Another thing: My time without signal seems to be high quite often. This morning when I woke up it was only at 1%. But I've seen it go up to as high as 60%+. This doesn't make sense because no one has ever told me they've tried calling me only to go straight to voicemail. Also, I seem to be getting texts without much delay.

Simple question: Is my phone defective? I need an answer because I wanna know if I should exchange my phone for the Optimus or if I should get a replacement. I really like this phone but 25% overnight?? Something is not right here.
From all my information gathering, it's due to the low signal. The phone is struggling to stay connected to the tower and consumes more power in the process. Supposedly the PRL update could resolve this but it's not a process I feel comfortable doing.

I just got mine yesterday, and this afternoon, the phone sat at 50% (by cell radio on idle) and 44% time without signal. I couldn't even activate my phone at first so I had to call in.

Reactions: PiitaaDerbez
Upvote 0
Uninstall juice defender, the low signal could be a cause for it, but you have to start eliminating one or the other to see whether it's a background process or weak cell signal.

I've already tried disabling/uninstalling juice defender.

Today I tried only underclocking my phone (disabled juice defender) and at first I thought it had helped, however I'm now sitting at 87% and on for 3 hours. That's down 13% (from 100%) with very minimal usage. Time without signal reads 7%.

Only 7% time without signal and it STILL went down 4%/hr from practically sitting there?

speedforce131 said:
From all my information gathering, it's due to the low signal. The phone is struggling to stay connected to the tower and consumes more power in the process. Supposedly the PRL update could resolve this but it's not a process I feel comfortable doing.

I just got mine yesterday, and this afternoon, the phone sat at 50% (by cell radio on idle) and 44% time without signal. I couldn't even activate my phone at first so I had to call in.
Why don't you feel comfortable doing a PRL update? How do I do that?

At this point I don't know if I can say that the low signal is what's causing my terrible battery life. I get 0% time without signal overnight and STILL get my battery drained.

I'm running out of ideas here. Right now I'm using the stock ROM after messing around with a few ROMs. Neither of which have helped, by the way.
I'm thinking about calling it quits.

P.S. in the time I've spent writing this (about 10minutes) my battery is down to 86%. Is this normal for the Triumph??

My last idea is to calibrate the battery. Maybe my battery percentage is wrong.

Upvote 0
so, I just checked it after leaving it charged 100% overnight and it's at 80% now. Time without signal is 0%. Cell Standby is 49% and Phone Idle is 48%.

googled and apparently other motorola users are suffering from it too.
My last idea is to calibrate the battery. Maybe my battery percentage is wrong.
I read about that. Supposedly the OS is reporting an estimated usage and some users report that updates fixes that. Which updates, I have no idea. I'm thinking about updating my ROM but before that I'll have to do some heavy research. I've heard that updating the ROM to a newer version of Android fixes a lot of problems and people are happy with it but a common issue among them is that the HDMI doesn't work.

Upvote 0
Speedforce looks like we are in this together haha.
To my surprise, I woke up and my battery only went down about 7%. I don't understand what's going on. Sometimes it drains battery like crazy and other times it doesn't. What is going on here??
I just charged my battery, I was at 100% less than 30 minutes ago and it is now at 97.

I tried the Cyanogenmod ROM but it didn't seem to help. I should perhaps try it again.
That update lead of yours sounds promising. Where and how do I update my phone??
I want to exchange this phone at Amazon but it has two tiny but visible scratches on the screen. Think that'll affect the exchange? >_<

Upvote 0
Here's the instructions for the PRL swap

HOW TO: Motorola Triumph PRL Swap

supposedly this allows you to connect to a closer tower giving you better speeds. With a closer tower, the phone doesn't struggle so much trying to maintain the connection. If you do have an available tower nearby, it'll alleviate the battery somewhat but some people report that it doesn't affect it by much.

Since this morning, the battery has lost 19% so, about 2.9% per hour since I last posted. My GPS and 3G are off though, and I don't have any services other than KeepWifi

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones