• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BBC i Player arriving Tomorrow or Friday

to be fair im not sure why theres a massive big cry going on bout this ONLY being wifi etc...

nokia ONLY gets the beeb player via wifi and they have a extremely poor browser so have no hope in hell of running the site through the browser....

whereas at least the top range (and mid range) android phones running 2.2 can still use the default web browser....yes its NOT as clean and 'nice' as using the player....but you STILL get the iplayer right?

so why is everyone complaining?

Well you've kind of answered it yourself.

Why did they bother to limit the app when there is no limit for the web based version..
Just makes the app a waste of money in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Apps are constantly being updated. Give the Beeb feedback that you'd like downloadable content like on the desktop version of iPlayer and they might add the feature in a future update.
Being able to run it over 3G isn't much use to most of us who have to abide by stingey network data limits, but the facility to download programmes while at home on WiFi to watch later while out would be a definite boon.

Upvote 0
Apps are constantly being updated. Give the Beeb feedback that you'd like downloadable content like on the desktop version of iPlayer and they might add the feature in a future update.
Being able to run it over 3G isn't much use to most of us who have to abide by stingey network data limits, but the facility to download programmes while at home on WiFi to watch later while out would be a definite boon.

+1.

Hopefully they can make this a reality, would be a really excellent app then.

Upvote 0
Tried it last night and took it back off. There seemed to be a sync problem where by the picture lagged behind the sound by about 1/4 sec.

Picture was good quality, not sluggish or jerk. Looked excellent.

I have a similar problem with tv catchup as well. Got to be a software issue as the spec of the desire is very good. Also I've got another TV app that works fine (only has USA stations and not UK though)

I'll have to look into it at some point to see if these issues have been addressed, but I don't have the time today.

Upvote 0
Tbh if it was 3G i can see a lot of people using most of their data allowance after watching one episode of something.

also DO THIS:

Open app, open menu, tap settings, tap video quality and choose High Quality (800kbps)

you should get a much much higher quality as default is only 500kbps.

I use iplayer on my phone all the time, when i'm in bed, when there is no PC or laptop available, when i'm at school, there are many uses, also live TV is pretty cool, I used it at school yesterday to see what was going on in Egypt on BBC News.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones