• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Be careful with preorder at BB--call and confirm

Hey fellas... Got a quick question for you, regarding pre-orders. I had gotten a palm pre on launch day and am eligible for another upgrade come 6/1. I would love to get the EVO at bestbuy but am not sure how it works. They can do upgrades for sprint? How exactly does the pre-order work? They have access to my sprint account to verify that I'm upgrading?

Sorry for the stupid questions, Just want to make sure that I'm golden if I go today to pre-order it. Thanks for the help from this great community.

I'm pretty sure that they can verify that. I set up my sprint account in the sprint store before going to bestbuy! So im pretty sure you can get your upgrade there. But the person at my bestbuy was very helpful and answered all of my qustions. You should just go up there && talk to them! :)

Upvote 0
I work in Best Buy Mobile and that was actually an error in Point of Sale, people who got charged tax should go back and get their money back. As in pre-order information, you are suppose to set up an appointment to keep things orderly and non-chaotic, but smaller stores don't really care, just come in any time and get it. But yes, you are suppose to get the receipt and the flyer and a $50 gift card back for your pre-order, anyone who didn't should go in or call in and get that situated.

Thanks for the update on that. I verified by phone that I am on the pre-order list, but I would rather not stop in to deal with the tax charged on the gift card. Correct me if I am wrong, but it shouldn't really matter if I have a $50 or a $54 giftcard because either amount will be credited in full when I use it as part of the phone payment.

Upvote 0
I'm glad to see the appointments are not at all Best Buys. The one I went to said I should come in as early as possible to avoid a line if there is one. I did mention how other Best Buys were doing appointments, but they said they weren't.

And I never got a flyer. Is it required? I did sign one with my name, address, and phone number, but I didn't get a copy of it. Like many others, I was also charged with tax for the phone card. I called the main Best Buy Mobile number and they said there is a tax for the mobile gift card. I have no idea what is going on, but I'm not going to fight it.

I'll call to confirm my pre-order before the 4th.

Upvote 0
you cant preorder if your buying at full retail right?

Nope, I tried to purchase the phone full price to secure my phone on launch day, they told me I can't.

How bad is it that they didn't give me a flier when I pre-ordered? I have a receipt and the gift card they gave me, but no flier.

I'm not sure, It doesn't seem to be anything of importance in the flyer, but on the fine print it says "Only original copies of this flyer will be accepted. Limit 1 phone per customer.... and so on. It has instructions for the Cashier to scan the UPC from the sheet. The only thing is, that the flyer they gave me is photo copied in black and white. Not sure if it will matter.

Upvote 0
Hi! I'm new to the forum, I've been lurking for a while (like many others I'm sure). I've also preordered through BB in Beaverton, OR. I got a receipt and my gift card, but no appointment or flier. The rep said they'd call me when it's ready. I went ahead and called to confirm. I'm on the list, and I asked about the flyer as well - my rep said it's not necessary at all. Clearly different stores have different procedures :D

Upvote 0
I'm not sure, It doesn't seem to be anything of importance in the flyer, but on the fine print it says "Only original copies of this flyer will be accepted. Limit 1 phone per customer.... and so on. It has instructions for the Cashier to scan the UPC from the sheet. The only thing is, that the flyer they gave me is photo copied in black and white. Not sure if it will matter.

lol I was thinking the SAME thing! How can only original copies be accepted if I didn't even get an original copy!! *Shrugs*

Anyways I just called & they said that I'm #9 in line & that their not making appointments yet & that they will call me @ 1pm that day! 1pm!!! F that! I will still be up there when the store opens REGARDLESS of what they say!!! hehe :)

can some body help me i pre-orderd the other day they gave me

1 - reciept
2 - gift card
3 - and a flyer with my info same as the 1 i filled out

all they said was there gonna call me
What do you need help with??? Your all set! Just call them to make sure you actually are on the list!

Reactions: jgangsta
Upvote 0
Ya thanks guys for the help.

Went to my local best buy and preordered it. Got my receipt, photocopied flyer and a gift card. Did you guys also notice that the flyer (mine anyways) says it expires on 6/3/10. Whaaaa??

Anyways, So excited, she also wrote in sharpie on mine #20. So whatever, as long as I have a saved one I'm golden.

Glad to be back in the android community!

Upvote 0
I'm an associate at Best Buy Mobile. The standard procedure given to us was to set up an appointment time to help manage wait times. However, not having an appointment given to you does NOT mean your preorder is in jeopardy. At our Best Buy, we initially began setting up appointments, but with only 3 or so preorders, we decided to stop setting up appointments and are now just playing it as first come first serve to pick up your reserved product, with priority given to those initial appointments we set up.

So, don't panic if you weren't given a slotted time to show up at, it most likely means that there just isn't enough demand at that particular store to warrant it.

Upvote 0
this is all real simple you fill out a flier and give them $50 and they give you a reciept and a gift card. dont call them they will call you about 2 days out before the release date and set up an appointment to go in and set up and take home your new phone. really easy i did this for the "hero" and it worked out perfectly. they even gave it to me a day early because they recieved there shipment early and had a lot of people to get through. so depending how many people at your location may determine how quickly you get it. but if you show up they will more than likely will not just give it to you right there especially if they are busy at least at my location. but itll workout no worries!!!

Upvote 0
Pre ordered mine on may 15th. thanks to this thread I called to make sure and he said anyone ordering before May 21st will definitely get one on launch day. After that it is hit or miss depending on demand etc... He said they will call Thursday night, to confirm I guess. He also said they would probably be open normal hours so no early pickup for me.

Upvote 0
I'm really disappointed in how incosistent BB stores are at handling preorders.:(

Correct me if I am wrong, but it shouldn't really matter if I have a $50 or a $54 giftcard because either amount will be credited in full when I use it as part of the phone payment.
If you paid $54, $4 was taxed so your card should only be worth $50. Apparently the taxing on the gift card is an error, but I haven't gone back for it because I was told that it would be credited to the full price of the phone. Not sure if i was told the truth, but just show them what you paid on your receipt and you should get it back.

Did you guys also notice that the flyer (mine anyways) says it expires on 6/3/10. Whaaaa??
I think the flyer is referencing when the preordering is closed, so no more preorders are done after 6/3/10.

Upvote 0
...he said anyone ordering before May 21st will definitely get one on launch day. After that it is hit or miss depending on demand etc...

So theres a chance that anyone that preorders after 5/21 may not get one? thats lame. if they're not sure they would have enough units on launch day, why would they continue to take preorders and sell $50 gift cards?

Upvote 0
So theres a chance that anyone that preorders after 5/21 may not get one? thats lame. if they're not sure they would have enough units on launch day, why would they continue to take preorders and sell $50 gift cards?
Because Best Buy is telling these folks that these pre-orders are for the 2nd shipment. They are also saying that if they get extras they would cal people from the 2nd batch to let them know they have one for them.

Upvote 0
ok turns out i was right to be worried - went in today to talk, apparently appointments had already been scheduled for days now and i was supposed to get a call but never got one - on top of that they couldnt find my paperwork. they filled in a time slot for me anyway though. i'll be there right on time with all my copies of the paperwork but that could have been a disaster had i not gone in to make sure everything was okay (and by disaster i mean getting the phone later in the day lol)

Upvote 0
Because Best Buy is telling these folks that these pre-orders are for the 2nd shipment. They are also saying that if they get extras they would cal people from the 2nd batch to let them know they have one for them.

oh, ok. so it's like a second-string preorder...thought that bb was leading people on to thinking they would definitely get it on launch day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones