• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Benchmarking with Quadrant Standard

victek

Android Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2011
Recently watched a review of the One X and the RAZR Maxx which included running Quadrant Standard (QS). I downloaded QS and ran it on the Dinc2 - the One X is literally 400% faster. I was surprised that the RAZR Maxx scored only about 200% faster than the Dinc2.

Have you used QS and do you think its scores are a good basis for judging phone performance? I find that the Dinc2 UI consistently lags and I'll be wanting much better performance in my next phone.

I don't think Benchmark testing is a good quantifier of performance. I can get excellent scores and still show lag
2012-05-08%2019.06.17.png

Or show lower scores and have no lag, even multitasking or playing games.

Are you rooted?

Side note: I experience much less lag with my DInc2 than I did on my Eris, and hope to see continued improvement with my next phone as well.
I have seen almost every phone (that I have seen) lag at one time or another. Yes, even the iPhone 4s.

Upvote 0
I don't think Benchmark testing is a good quantifier of performance. I can get excellent scores and still show lag
2012-05-08%2019.06.17.png

Well, based on my experience with benchmarking PCs I know synthetics have their limits, but in the case of the One X Vs the RAZR Maxx there was a 200% difference, and between the One X and the Dinc2 there's a 400% difference. On PCs differences that great are very tangible regardless of other factors. It will be interesting down the road if the score for the Dinc2 goes up after the ICS update (which is supposed to enable hardware acceleration, right?) I expect that will be a small boost though and not a "gee whiz" moment :)

Upvote 0
...differences that great are very tangible regardless of other factors. It will be interesting down the road if the score for the Dinc2 goes up after the ICS update (which is supposed to enable hardware acceleration, right?) I expect that will be a small boost though and not a "gee whiz" moment :)

Very good point.

Upvote 0
Very good point.

Thanks, but I'd like to hear more about the variability you were talking about. I haven't rooted the Dinc2. I guess if I did I could remove all the Verizon bloatware which would improve performance. As is I occasionally run a task killer or Fast Reboot, which seem to help. When it gets really slow a hard reboot is necessary. What else can be done?

Upvote 0
Cache cleaners should be more effective than task killers. But other than rooting, I don't have much for ya.
Maybe disabling fast boot, and as you said occasionally shutting her all the way down and deleting unused apps and the like. Though I don't really think deleting the bloat really helps performance, it just frees up space for apps and the like.
Within the smaller ranges, benchmarking doesn't seem to really mean much to me. Not enough that the highest scores I get on my DInc2 reliably produce actual better performance than the lower scores.
I've been curious, for those that aren't rooted did the last update do much for your performance or battery life?
Roms based on it are way more reliable and faster for me than those based on any other sense base.

Upvote 0
Sometimes it is the lag most people think of. Maybe not to the extent I saw on the Eris with full second or two pauses when "entering a command", but more like hiccups as the screen moves, as an app or window opens, or even miniscule pauses when entering text.

I've seen it on most of the roms I've run. Again, not huge. But I'm very sensitive to these "hiccups". I don't think they should be there and so constantly was searching for ways to make them disappear. I'd think I fixed it with clock speeds or other tweaks, then a day later I'd see one tiny hiccup or pause and start the efforts anew.
If I remember right the later releases of drellisdee's kernels was the first time I saw roms function without those lags, but I can't be 100% sure when it happened exactly. But now many roms (though I only run a couple really) are smooth as butter. CM7, GBS, and more I'm sure.

Just my experience.

Upvote 0
Where do you see the lag? This phone is really snappy for me.

I find it's fast immediately after a hard reboot. Then it slowly slows down. Occasionally it gets so bad the phone becomes unresponsive, but mostly it just lags when changing screens, or calling up the dialer or contacts list. For instance I use Go Launcher EX and have the screen transition set to outside cube. It's a nice animation, but sometimes it stutters and the bitmaps tear. I'm running a number of resident apps, ie antivirus, Juice Defender, ring dimmer, Screeble and Lux. No doubt they're all using some CPU. Maybe I'm putting too much load on the phone, expecting too much performance? Generally it's fine and I'm happy with it, but I'll be looking for more power/speed when I upgrade at the end of the year :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones