• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best aftermarket Wall charger USB Cable?

Are you looking to buy local or online?

If you can wait, and buy online, I'd suggest a GENUINE HTC charger identical to the one that came with your phone. I have 3 of them total and they work exceptionally.

Just be sure it comes with a genuine USB cable as well. Some people don't use the right cable, and they get half the current as a result. You should be able to draw 1 amp (~900mA) of current when your battery is less than half full. This is how you can test the performance.

Download current widget and while charging, look at the current being drawn. Actually, the screen uses up current, so turn off the screen and let it charge for a few minutes. Then turn on the screen and check the current draw really fast.

Keep in mind that the charge current gets lower and lower as the battery fills up. Don't be surprised if you're only charging at 125mA at 90% full. That's normaly. I suggest charging from like 40% or lower for this test.

You should also see AC charging in the Battery Status under the Power option in settings. If not, it's the wrong USB cable most likely.

If you have to buy local, maybe Best Buy's brand Rocketfish would do OK. It will probably be $20+. If you buy from reputable sellers, and the charger is cheese funk, you can return it with little hassle.

Upvote 0
Are you looking to buy local or online?

If you can wait, and buy online, I'd suggest a GENUINE HTC charger identical to the one that came with your phone. I have 3 of them total and they work exceptionally.

Just be sure it comes with a genuine USB cable as well. Some people don't use the right cable, and they get half the current as a result. You should be able to draw 1 amp (~900mA) of current when your battery is less than half full. This is how you can test the performance.

Download current widget and while charging, look at the current being drawn. Actually, the screen uses up current, so turn off the screen and let it charge for a few minutes. Then turn on the screen and check the current draw really fast.

Keep in mind that the charge current gets lower and lower as the battery fills up. Don't be surprised if you're only charging at 125mA at 90% full. That's normaly. I suggest charging from like 40% or lower for this test.

You should also see AC charging in the Battery Status under the Power option in settings. If not, it's the wrong USB cable most likely.

If you have to buy local, maybe Best Buy's brand Rocketfish would do OK. It will probably be $20+. If you buy from reputable sellers, and the charger is cheese funk, you can return it with little hassle.

I'd like to buy local since I have no charger right now. I was gonna have my wife bring me my charger but it would cost more for her to bring it to me since I'm about 70 miles from home. I'll check out the Rocketfish brand from Best buy.

Upvote 0
I'd like to buy local since I have no charger right now. I was gonna have my wife bring me my charger but it would cost more for her to bring it to me since I'm about 70 miles from home. I'll check out the Rocketfish brand from Best buy.

I didn't realize you needed one today, I thought you were going to get one for the next time this happened. Check with walmart. They may have something that charges at one amp for less than $10. It will get you by for today and if it is cheese funk, return it.
Follow my steps above to determine the charge quality. Anything over 600mA is pretty good.

Upvote 0
I didn't realize you needed one today, I thought you were going to get one for the next time this happened. Check with walmart. They may have something that charges at one amp for less than $10. It will get you by for today and if it is cheese funk, return it.
Follow my steps above to determine the charge quality. Anything over 600mA is pretty good.

Thanks for the advice bro!

Upvote 0
In the future I would also check into an external charger, I have 3 standard and 2 extended batteries and it certainly saves a ton of wear and tear on the usb port if you have multiple batteries. And charger quality does matter, inexpensive one's typically put out the usb 2.0 standard 500 ma, good ones are 1 to 1.5 amps, you also get higher current with a charge only cable as opposed to most data/charger cables.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones