• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they tried to make it where you had to buy two plans

VZW is always about making a buck no matter how far they have to reach in their customers pockets. A VZW rep did say the data rate could go up at a later date. They are calling the current data rates on the Thunderbolt, which are the same as the current 3g data rates, as introductory. In other words be prepared to bend over and grab the cheeks later.

Upvote 0
Well I gues we will have to read the fine print. A wireless carrier can change the rate at anytime by allowing you to opt out of your contract. There are no guarantees.

Well if they let you opt out it's not a huge deal, but whenever companies have changed data plans in the past, I've never seen it so that they make you either pick a new one or leave. They usually just grandfather you in

Upvote 0
Well if they let you opt out it's not a huge deal, but whenever companies have changed data plans in the past, I've never seen it so that they make you either pick a new one or leave. They usually just grandfather you in

I think once 4g is rolled out to a majority of the cities they will adjust their plans accordingly. It's no big deal letting someone stay at the current rate with so little access to the higher technology and speeeds. I know some people live in the sweet spots and will be reaping the rewards for a while. I'm not one of those. The closest I have is Washington DC or Bristol Va. I'm right in the middle stuck on 3g.

Upvote 0
Okay, everyone else has had their "I talked to Best Buy and they said___" moment. I guess it's my turn. I had to go to the grocery store and while I was out I stopped by my Best Buy store. I talked to the lady in charge of the mobile section and when I asked if she had a release date for the Thunderbolt she said without hesitation that her VZW rep said it should be the 24th. She continued that she didn't have anything in the system but said the Verizon rep said the hold up was the Skype video calling. I also asked about the Xoom pricing and showed her the leaked article and she said that was more than probable a place holder price for the Xoom and not the launch price. Droid Life speculated this also. She also said she expected that there would not be a 1 year contract on the Thunderbolt which is the same I heard speculated by the VZW rep I talked to. Neither one could say for certain but both seemed inclined to believe there wouldn't. So there you have it... my Best Buy moment.

Upvote 0
Also to mention, did you guys know that BB doesn't charge a restocking fee? So, the guy on one of the other threads talking about needing to switch by the 19th from Sprint, go into BB, buy an iPhone or DX or whatever the hell he wants and then he can go back and get the TB when its released (most likely the 24th) and have no penalty. I spoke to 4 different reps on 4 different days and they each told me that same thing. I thought that was pretty cool considering everyone else is charging atleast 35 bucks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones