• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best way to get my phone working better

blubill

Jun 23, 2010
Illinois
www.billywaddell.net
I updated to Froyo really early along on my DX and am pretty sure I'm using the first leak still. My phone constantly locks up/overheats and I have to battery pull to get it working again. I would like to get the most updated Froyo which hopefully doesn't lock me up anymore and also root it again.

What is the best way to do this without actually knowing which version of Froyo I am using? I don't mind losing all of my data and starting over, but the locking up is just becoming way to frequent. I have it in my head that if I flash back to 2.1 stock and do the OTA, then do the root again it would be much smoother. Am I on the right track? I really stepped away from the root scene for a while after I rooted mine so I am lost.

you are on the right track but you don't need to go back to 2.1. You can flash the most recent 2.2. Search this site for STB 2.2 and rsdlite 4.8. You can download both for free. STB 2.2 is a large file and can take as long as an hour to download to your computer. rsdlite 4.8 is the installer for STB 2.2 and you must have it.
Also there are all sorts of backup and restore apps that can make rebuilding your Droid painless. Remember that flashing will not effect your SD card. Since you rooted earlier I suppose you have Titanium back up that will help you restore after you (re) root.

Reactions: blubill
Upvote 0
Some people were having problems with getting the radio update with the SBF.

Once you get the uploaded bootloader fromt eh 2.2 SBF you would not be able to flash back to 2.1 to get the update. Seemed too risky for me, so I flashed 2.1 and took the OTA to be sure. I think thats still the safest method.

However other members flashed using the 2.2 SBF and said they have the new radio. It's up to you but its not really anymore work to flash to 2.1 then get the OTA.

What I would do is this, assuming you have the droid-X bootstrapper already, and would like to run a custom rom.

1) Backup your phone with Titanium backup
2) Use Appbrain to keep track of your apps.
3) Enable Android to backup your applications Settings -> Privacy -> then tick Automatic Restore & Backup My Data
4) Create a Nandroid Backup with Rom Manager (just get in the habit of making these but you should not need it).

5) SBF to 2.1 RSDLite 4.8 works fine.
6) When your phone restarts Don't bother logging to your google or it will downlaod all your apps.
7) Go to the market and get the one click root app for the droid-x (theres a thread in this forum for it) ROOT THE PHONE
8) Restore the Dropid-X Bootstrapper from Titanium backup. -> Bootstrap Recovery
9) Re-download Rom Manger or restore it from Titanium backup -> Create a Nandroid Backup of your rooted Froyo 2.2 OTA setup.
10) Download Fission or Apex, or Rubi-X (your choice) and flash that ROM.
11) This time when your phone starts up sign into google
12) Watch android restore all of your original apps.
13) Setup your widgets launcher ringtones etc
14) Use titanium backup to restore data to any apps you as you use them (selectively)
15) Create another Nandroid when you get it how you like it.
enjoy!

Upvote 0
I'd check your bootstrap version and flash to 2.1 or 2.2 based on that version and use OTA to latest 2.2. Then do a factory reset clear cache using the method described here.

Then root, install CW Recovery and back up this version to a nandroid. Whether you stick with this or go the rom route, you still have a version to come back to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones