• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bixby - it's not so bad

WOW, some of these prev. posts are funny, I haven't started the whole Bixby thing yet, but maybe I will set it up tonight and see what happens.

I know a lot of people are trying to work around Bixby (or in spite of Bixby), but the more I use it the more I like it. I love the ability to issue complex instructions and Bixby just does it.

For example - yesterday I was driving and remembered that I was expecting a call from a technical repair company I'd worked with before. I try to keep names of people I talk with in the contact Notes so I can address them by name again (that scores points big time)... so I told Bixby 'open contact information for XX Electronics'.

BAM! Bixby opened the contacts app, searched for XX Electronics and opened it up. Magic!

Bixby is also very handy for taking screen shots when I can't just swipe the edge of my hand across the screen.

Bixby and I are getting along just fine...

I use bixby every morning. I do have your alarm app you recommmended chief, but i , for the moment, am using the stock clock because bixby wakes me up with some nice cheesy elevator music (which is refreshing to ME coming out of a nice sleep) and literally tells me about the days events, finishing off with “and thats your news, have a nice day...” ish. Really nice touch Bix.. :rob:

I haven't done complex commands yet. Though I just use Bixby more to kill time than anything testing it out. I like how she learns though. If she gets a word wrong, I hit the 'Teach Me' to correct the word she got wrong. Or 'Great' of it's accurate. So far no real issues with her recognizing what I'm saying. That is until my tired brain shuts down and I stutter.

Bixby is also very handy for taking screen shots when I can't just swipe the edge of my hand across the screen.

Bixby and I are getting along just fine...

You know you can also take a screenshot by holding down the Power button and Volume Down button together.

Bixby gets a lot of bad press because people keep wrongly comparing it to Google Assistant.

Bixby is a proper assistant because it can perform tasks at a lower system level. Whilst GA is very good (and better than Bixby) for general searching and fast information, Bixby excels at following instructions and processing hundreds of varied phone tasks.

I was skeptical when Bixby was launched and went for the remapping option of the Bixby button etc. Then I watched an excellent Youtube video on a channel called SAKITECH that enlightened me on how powerful and useful Bixby is.

Last edited:
Yes, but it can be tricky to hit the buttons at just the right time. I usually just use the hand swipe for screen shots... but for pop-ups or other notifications that would disappear if I touch the screen, Bixby is great!

Just bought Note 8s for me and my wife and they will be here tomorrow. We both have S7 edges and both use (me more than her) google assistant quite frequently.

Is bixby that bad? Can I turn off bixby and run google assistant? Can you remap the bixby button to go to google assistant? Will google assistant open from the lock screen or the always on display screen unlike the S7?

Thanks.

This thread always makes me smile when I see it (I always imagine that as an "honest advertising slogan" from Samsung).

I don't own one of these devices, so can't answer questions about Assistant on it, though I'm sure others will be able to help you there.

Yes, you can turn off Bixby and use Google Assistant instead and remap the home button to Google

To do so, you will need to do the following.
First open settings > Go to Apps > Then options with the 3 Dots on the top left of the screen > Then from there tap Configure apps > Tap Assist and voice input > Tap Assist app > and then chose your assistant from there

I hope this helps you out with your question ;)

Last edited:
IMO voice recognition will never be as good as the keyboard I'm typing this post with. Many have posted that bixby does things or response when not commanded, what many of you are missing is that bixby does things when it thinks it hears a command, background noise is a killer for voice recognition example.

Google just got their assist to cast, they can open youtube and play a playlist (I don't know who's list it is yet), when my brother was trying to get his tablet to get Gassist to cast, my S8+ responed to his command and casted when his didn't, I was over a meter or so away. I've had bixby start typing shit while giving a command once, I stop talking and bixby is still typing responing to a child crying 30 meters away, I think it's got to do with the pitch of the noise.

How you sit effects it, dry mouth effect it or slightest amount of food will effect it, yeah both work well some times, but shit man some times both suck. If I started typing shit with this keyboard every now and again, I'd arsehole it and buy a new one.
For me for VR to be a good tool it has to be from a Qcom or Scut and only from the bixby button or tapping the mic icon for Gassist.

The same task more or less in words and in Qcoms or Scuts

Bixby-- Connect to the chromecast tv - attached to - open youtube play (artist with song) or Qcom-- Alpha

Gassist-- Play (artist with song) on youtube on TV or Scut-- Playlist

Both VR's can get the long command right first time, but both can get it wrong more than once, even the Qcoms or Scuts can get it wrong more than once.

Google has better VR, some times it's so good and some times it's a shocker and when it comes after it been really good, it kinda hurts and leaves you thinking why.

Thinking, it can't be too many things causing so good to shocker in so little time period, thinking again, I might keep what I think is the cause to myself, no use helping those who are uncharitable.

Thinking again, I do that some times, even Bixby goes from hero to zero in so little time period, big chance it's the same reason, must suck standing there.

Thinking again it does become annoying some times, it must be the reason.

I'm sure the intelligence team will sort this out sooner or later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back