• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bizarre and rare pattern unlock problem, Android issue?

I appreciate your welcome. Unfortunately I joined this forum to access an Android audience and people reading posts about Android. I have already posted this issue in two other forums that focused on hardware. I thought this was a place for Android. Only 57 views so far. I imagine there is a very small amount of people browsing any particular phone model, especially a 3-year-old model. This means minimum exposure for me, not maximum. And because the notification of the forum move was a "reply", this wouldn't be put in the "unanswered threads" list. So no help with exposure there either.

Upvote 0
I have already posted this issue in two other forums that focused on hardware. I thought this was a place for Android.

It is, which is why we have hundreds of forums dedicated to specific devices; problems get solved and questions answered more quickly and accurately by users of the device in question.

Your problem does sound very like a defective touchscreen i.e. it's not actually registering the 'touch' on that area of the display. Is this behaviour carried over to normal use e.g. are you able to tap and open apps in the drawer that are in the same area of the screen?

Upvote 0
As I said, it is not like the touchscreen isn't sensing my touch. It shows a green line through the Android pattern unlock buttons, but doesn't turn the button green or red. I wanted to post a photo, but your system wouldn't let me. I have no trouble using the touchscreen with other programs or functions in the bottom area.

If it is a touchscreen issue, perhaps due to being used for over 3 years, is this a replaceable thing? When I thought this thing was dying I priced an HTC One locally and it was $1000. So if I can just save this thing for much less I would be happy. I can't complain. I don't know if it is a fluke, but my HTC seems to have reliability I haven't seen since my old Nokia 6100 series.

Upvote 0
The glass and digitizer are both replaceable. I'd hate to replace it not knowing for certain that would fix the problem. However, you might check with a local repair shop. Replacing such is a very common task.. mostly from being dropped and broken. You can also google the replacement. There are some splendid vids on self replacements if you are so inclined.
Best of luck to you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones