• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Black Screen of Death?

Apologies for the new thread. Can't find an exact replica of this issue elsewhere.

My handset is prone to crashing - the screen either freezes and is unresponsive to touch or hard button input, or will not wake from sleeping.

In both cases the phone appears to still work for incoming calls, and a battery pull usually resolves.

I noticed the issue following using a new sd card, a Sandisk class 4 16gb card.

Any known issues with specifically Sandisk cards? Previously used a Kingston class 2 2gb with no issues.

Anyone relate to this or have any ideas.

Fyi - I'm currently rooted, and have had the same issue with a variety of Roms, as well as the most recent stock update prior to rooting.

I've definitely seen this issue on custom roms (kernel related) and have heard that some people may now be getting it on stock roms too.

Not very helpful but FYI

Thanks.

Point to note re custom roms, I was getting the issue with the latest Htc rom prior to rooting (405.5?)

I guess ultimate test of a fix would be going back to old Sd card and reflash the latest RUU from htc.

Anyone else any Sandisk related issues?

I had an 8GB sandisk and never had this problem relating to it. I only had it relating to kernels on Custom roms. However, yes swap the card out and see if it persists.

I think this problem has only come up on Stock roms on later versions (405.2 and 405
.5) which fits in with what you said.

Can you confirm, are you rooted stock currenty? If so, it may be that your previous experience of BSOD was kernel related on custom roms and your current experience is related to the stock rom?

I would try old SD card first, then if it persists its an easy rule out.

I would probably then downgrade to 2.1 and see if it occurs. Then upgrade to something less than the latest 2 and try again. Long winded and thats just me.

OR, just flash a custom rom and see if the issue persists

Can you confirm, are you rooted stock currenty? If so, it may be that your previous experience of BSOD was kernel related on custom roms and your current experience is related to the stock rom?

Currently rooted 2.3 rom (Oxygen - great rom by the way)

Same issues with all rooted custom roms tried, AND stock roms.

What would a fix look like if it was a kernel issue?

Another kernel.

Do you do a full wipe between roms without restoring?

Suggest doing the downgrade in that case. Then upgrade to a lower version of froyo.

If it is still happening, perhaps its hardware related?!

Think I need to understand this kernel thing more.

All I know is that the trigger was either the latest htc ota update or the new Sandisk card....

Ok, been a couple of days with the Kingston card in.

No issues at all since the swap back to Kingston. It even seems faster than the Sandisk card - which is odd as the Sandisk claimed to be class 4 and this card is a class 2.

Any known issues with Class 4 Sandisk cards on this handset?

Back
Top Bottom