• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Black semi circle on screen edge

Hello!
Welcome to AF:)
Not familiar with that device, but does another window, or menu popout when you click on it?
Are you on the stock launcher?

Nothing happens when I touch it.
Yes, it's the stock launcher. Android 6.0
I've saw on internet the same problem in a Samsung S6

Try taking a screenshot with the phone itself, and if it's not present there, then it's almost certainly a problem with the screen, and would need replacing.

Yes, great idea, indeed!

Also, what happens when you change orientation of the phone (with an app/screen that obeys orientation changes, of course)?

Does the "blob" follow the orientation change?

It is there from the beginning, when you turn on the phone and the white android screen shows it already has the semicircle.
It remains in the same position even if you change orientation.
I'll try the screen capture thing it's a good idea.
I think it's too perfect circle shape to be dead pixels, perhaps it's a kind of sticker or protection they failed to remove when the phone was assembled.

Same problem, Galaxy s7 Edge purchased from Republic Wireless a couple of years ago. My wife is not sure, but doesn't think her phone had this from the get-go.

So if this problem shows up (except on screen capture images) on both Moto X and Samsung Galaxy, what does that mean? A common problem in Android? Something in common in the display hardware that shares this failure mode? A virus?

So if this problem shows up (except on screen capture images) on both Moto X and Samsung Galaxy, what does that mean? A common problem in Android? Something in common in the display hardware that shares this failure mode? A virus?

If it doesn't show up on a screen capture then there's nothing there for the OS to capture. It's strictly a hardware/screen problem, although it seems od to have the exact same problem on two different phones 2-1/2 years apart.

If it doesn't show up on a screen capture then there's nothing there for the OS to capture. It's strictly a hardware/screen problem, although it seems od to have the exact same problem on two different phones 2-1/2 years apart.

Exactly. Very odd. I'd love to see the root cause of this one, especially because it's a semicircle.

You didn't say if it there in a screen shot. If it's not, then its probably screen damage. Not sure why it would be a semi-circle at the edge if the display unless there's a bubble under the LCD.

The black semicircle is not there in the screen shot, so yes, we have to look at the hardware. A bubble? I like that idea. Say more. An air bubble embedded in the display? Possibly. Why exactly a semicircle, though? I wonder whether a pinpoint water leak at the edge could propagate into the display matrix in a circular pattern.

That's where I was going with that, or a sharp impact that ruptured the LCD at one point and it bled radially from the edge.

Maybe some contamination or a bit of moisture got into the screen. As I understand it the organic materials that AMOLEDs are made from can be damaged in this way. The screen will definitely need replacing, no other fix other than living with it and hoping it doesn't spread.

Last edited:
Maybe some contamination or a bit of moisture got into the screen. As I understand it the organic materials that AMOLEDs are made from can be damaged in this way. The screen will definitely need replacing.

Or if it gets no worse, we can live with it, I suppose, until the next phone upgrade...

identical problem with LGV40. Been through LG & Verizon tech support; been to repair stores, etc. It's a perfect half black circle at the right border that doesn't show up on screen shot; doesn't move when touched; stays in the same location when I change screen orientation; color doesn't change when theme changes. The only thing that makes sense to me is that there is a sticker physically inside the phone that is not supposed to be there.

It's definitely hardware. I'd be amazed if someone managed to leave a sticker between the screen and the glass, as typically screen, digitizer and protective glass are all bonded together, but if they had then it would be visible with the screen off if you shone a light on it.

Perfect semicircle is a weird hardware fault, but this definitely isn't software. Did any of those repair stores actually try replacing the screen?

Yep, if nothing happens when the spot is swiped in from the edge, or tapped, then there is no reason for it to be there. It's either a hardware error or (conspiracy hat on) some indicator of malware or secret app running. Time to contact the manufacturer/carrier and see if they have any insight.

My phone has this exact same problem. Middle of the screen right-hand side, black semicircle that does nothing. If I remember correctly this had a function to begin with (I may be wrong). But I believe it was connected to games. In game you could swipe this semicircle and open a small program. However I distinctly remember turning this off at some point. And I believe that's when the circle appeared. Now it won't do anything. Totally unresponsive. I hope this can help someone give us anyone answer, cause this thing really annoys me. Thanks you.

My phone has this exact same problem. Middle of the screen right-hand side, black semicircle that does nothing. If I remember correctly this had a function to begin with (I may be wrong). But I believe it was connected to games. In game you could swipe this semicircle and open a small program. However I distinctly remember turning this off at some point. And I believe that's when the circle appeared. Now it won't do anything. Totally unresponsive. I hope this can help someone give us anyone answer, cause this thing really annoys me. Thanks you.
also my phone is a samsung S7 edge.

Back
Top Bottom