• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root bloatware removal

chopolo

I have read that root explorer can be used to remove bloatware so i went ahead and bought the app. was just wondering if there is a list which was safe to remove and whats not.I switched from vv4 to vv3 in order to gain root
which i have now.

That list makes it so easy now thank you very much.

You're welcome. On that list you will see an app called TtsService.apk - if you delete that you will lose your Pico speech engine! As in, if you use GPS there will be no voice guidance! That app will not interfere with anything, it's safe to leave it and may be useful to you some time. Whichever, it can always be re-installed if you already deleted it :)

I noticed some apps end with apk and odex
Example:
Mediaprovider.odex
Mediaprovider.apk

Do i remove both of them in case like this?

You're welcome. On that list you will see an app called TtsService.apk - if you delete that you will lose your Pico speech engine! As in, if you use GPS there will be no voice guidance! That app will not interfere with anything, it's safe to leave it and may be useful to you some time. Whichever, it can always be re-installed if you already deleted it :)
This is 100% TRUE! I added it to the list as I don't use GPS, and have no need for it, as such it's unnecessary to me. Adding to that the purpose of the stripper was to create the most complete bloat remover out there for people that don't need ANYTHING extra.

There is a list here in the OP of what apps are OK to remove, or you can download and run this stripper app.

http://androidforums.com/connect-4g-all-things-root/564573-mod-lg-stock-app-stripper.html
I love love LOVE when people refer to my threads to help others. Thanks so much for that.

That list makes it so easy now thank you very much.
You're very welcome, and I'm glad you found it, please make sure that if you see someone that seems like they need it to forward them to it. Knowledge is POWAH!

I noticed some apps end with apk and odex
Example:
Mediaprovider.odex
Mediaprovider.apk

Do i remove both of them in case like this?
The .odex is the rolodex (that's how I think of it) that stores all of the information for settings, this just makes it where you can use them without needing to reinstall them.

dont remove the stock music app if you want bluetooth to work correctly!
This again, is 100% true!

This is 100% TRUE! I added it to the list as I don't use GPS, and have no need for it, as such it's unnecessary to me. Adding to that the purpose of the stripper was to create the most complete bloat remover out there for people that don't need ANYTHING extra.

Bloat is stuff added by MetroPCS/Carrier/Manufacture.

TTS is made by Google, therefore not bloat. TTS can be found on every android phone on the planet (unless removed with root).

I would leave that app in the phone just because in the long run if someone wanted to use an app like iris, they need TTS and will be wondering why they hear nothing.

These are just suggestions, you are welcome to take them or leave them :)

Bloat is stuff added by MetroPCS/Carrier/Manufacture.

TTS is made by Google, therefore not bloat. TTS can be found on every android phone on the planet (unless removed with root).

I would leave that app in the phone just because in the long run if someone wanted to use an app like iris, they need TTS and will be wondering why they hear nothing.

These are just suggestions, you are welcome to take them or leave them :)

I agree while disagreeing.
While "bloatware" may be defined typically as items installed by the manufacturer, I'm a literal person, and believe that bloat is anything that causes bloating on my phone, and when gps, and text to speech and voice recognition aren't needed they're bloat ^_^

I do agree with certain persons wanting it though, and understand the premise for that statement. When I get time (probably not anytime soon) I'll rework the stripper and get things a little more in order. I just don't have the time right now to do that.

Could just prompt user about TTS with a statement telling them what the app does ;)

THIS ^^^ is a really smart idea, and I will be integrating that with the new version when I get time to do it.
I appreciate the input, greatly; and will implement that as well as one about the other services that are questionably "user chosen" bloatware such as gps, bluetooth, or anything else. ( I haven't looked at the stripper in some time so I forget what all it tinkers with.)

As for redoing the app, that's easy. I have each primary function in its own executable, so editing the necessary ones will be a breeze.

Back
Top Bottom