• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth Headset keeps cutting out?

zilla.

Jan 14, 2011
I've recently purchased the Philips SHB6000 Bluetooth headset to listen to music while running. (Amazon.com: Philips SHB6000/28 Bluetooth Stereo Headset (Black/Grey): Electronics)

It connects fine to my Thunderbolt but the music constantly cuts out here and there. It makes it practically unenjoyable as far as listening to music goes.

I tried to see if it was the music player by switching from PowerAMP to the stock music app. Interestingly enough, it did skip less in the stock app but it just doesn't make any sense as to why the apps would cause the skipping.

Has anyone experienced this and know of any way to correct this?

If it helps at all, I am rooted and running SynergyROM - NIGHTLYS. I recently flashed to SynergyROM from BAMF 1.6 and I had the same problem with both ROMs.

I don't really mean to disappoint you, but the fact remains that Bluetooth headsets are at best sub-par, compared to wired headsets. I don't think it has anything to do with going from a non-rooted to a rooted phone either. At least, when you're being extremely active. The signal transmitting from your phone is going to be bouncing around all over the place if you're jogging, and it's much worse if you have it say, in your front pocket. Even though it might say that your headphones are capable of receiving a signal up to a certain distance.

Unless you have your phone in a strap that's around your bicep, chances are that you're going to have problems no matter what. Even then there's no telling, honestly.

The phone and the headset reliably depend on a "line of sight" method where they are both in direct relation to each other. Think about how you would have a PS3 controller or an Xbox controller pointing at the respective console. As a practical test to this statement, try using your back pocket to put your Tbolt into and then see if there's a difference in how it works with the headset. Since the antenna for the Bluetooth set you have points behind you, it only makes sense that's where you'd want the phone to be as well. I know this doesn't help if you're wearing something that doesn't have a back pocket, so maybe a case/holster that can fit around your waistband?

Keep in mind, depending on the area that you live in can have a lot to do with it as well. The Bluetooth headsets are more prone to being disrupted by outside influences; alarms, radio towers, manufacturing plants, etc.

One of the reasons that I believe that HTC decided to invest money into the Monster company (Beats by Dre) is because they realize there are problems with this. Hell, have you seen the Bluetooth headphones they're making right now? New Wireless Beats by Dre Headphones for Mobile Devices Land at the FCC - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog The damned things are HUGE. I'm speculatin' that it's because the antenna to receive the signal is MUCH larger than a smaller Bluetooth device. Though you wouldn't catch me dead wearing a pair of those monstrosities.

I'm just kind of ramblin' now. I hope this made sense and that you'll be able to get yours to work better. I'm pretty damned sure that it has nothing to do with the current roms you're using though.

Reactions: zilla.
Upvote 0
I have been out of the loop as far as bluetooth technology is concerned. I thought it was pretty advanced but everything you said does make sense. Good thing I bought these when they were marked down 75%. I do run with the thunderbolt in a bicep armband.

I have noticed that while I am indoors testing this headset out, there is little to no interruption. I listened to a 17 minute song with 1 skip.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones