• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Boost Moto E 2015 LTE Stock 5.0.2 and 5.1 Soak test ROMs

SuperR

Android Expert
Recognized Developer
DISCLAIMER: By using this rom, you agree that you are the only one responsible for anything good or bad that may occur. Use at your own risk.;)

For Boost Mobile Moto E 2015 LTE XT1526 only.

Stock 5.0.2 Unmodified ROM
surnia_stock_5.0.2.zip

NOTE1: The unmodified ROM is not rooted. To root, flash SuperSU after the ROM

NOTE2:
Your device must have a custom recovery such as TWRP to flash ROMs.

NOTE3: These zips are unsigned so you may need to disable signature verification in TWRP before flashing.

Flash in TWRP as follows:
  1. Download ROM
  2. Put the ROM.zip on your sdcard if not already
  3. Reboot to TWRP Recovery
  4. MAKE A BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Wipe data/Factoy reset
  6. Install ROM from sdcard
  7. Reboot
  8. Enjoy!
**If you get errors while flashing, please try the following**:
  1. Go to Mounts in TWRP recovery
  2. Uncheck system
  3. Flash rom again
Other Downloads/Links:
surnia_stock_recovery.img - Stock recovery for the Boost Moto E 2015 LTE
surnia_permissive_kernel - Stock kernel, init.d support, included permissive init.d script
Soak test ROMs [Lollipop 5.1]
Soak test ROMs [Lollipop 5.1] Part 2

Last edited:
Tested for a couple hrs, could find no problems. After flashing rom I lost root, twrp autoroot method read successful but did not root , so I reflashed SuperSU 2.46.zip thru twrp. Everything works, from MMS to playstore :) thank you

Tested for a couple hrs, could find no problems. After flashing rom I lost root, twrp autoroot method read successful but did not root , so I reflashed SuperSU 2.46.zip thru twrp. Everything works, from MMS to playstore :) thank you
Yes, the unmodified rom is not rooted. Sorry, I should have added that to the OP. Will do it now :)

Damn that was fast, thank you sir lol :p

EDIT: My wife just upgraded to this phone yesterday from her Moto G for $50 at the Boost store, so anyone that's looking to get this phone you can upgrade to it for $50 til the end of this month :D
I got mine for $50 about a week ago. Mostly I like it, but the lack of a flash and notification light are kind of annoying. I am still using the Moto G as my daily until I figure out a proper fix for the broken camera after rooting. I am aware that setting selinux to permissive works, but that is not the greatest solution imho.

Thank you so much bro, I tried pulling it through ADB but without root it's not possible, you da man as always bro, mind sharing how you pulled it?? Was it by fastboot boot TWRP??
Yes, fastboot boot twrp.img :)

As far as I can tell, stock recovery on this device is completely useless other than for OTA verification. When I first got it I booted to recovery from the bootloader and only got the dead Android.

I'm currently making a full backup of my custom rooted setup with your TWRP 2.8.6.0, then I'm gonna try your unmodified Stock 5.0.2, then I'll flash your Stock Recovery with fastboot :p

Good thing I have a 32gb SanDisk Ultra Class 10 microsd card in my Moto E 2nd gen lol :p
Nice. Just make sure you use v2-3 of TWRP. Just posted it today. I believe all the bugs are worked out now.

Hey bro, when I tried flashing your Stock zip it said error creating symlinks, any way to fix that??
Yes, I am not sure why this happens sometimes, but if you wipe everything, then reboot to recovery from twrp menu, you will not get the error. It is posted in the OP :p

It is possible that time/date may get screwed up after rebooting into recovery because I have TWRP using the time-daemon from /system and the time data from /data/time in order to provide accurate info. Let me know if you experience this. I have not tried this so far.

It's still failing to create symlinks, I found out it's something to do with flashing your stock zip from flash drive through OTG, it's flashing fine from internal storage Downloads folder :)
That's strange, but I am glad you got it sorted out :)

I don't have service on my Moto E currently so I can't test it properly. Just assumed it would be the same as the G. Will look into it further once I get my E some service.

I got mine for $50 about a week ago. Mostly I like it, but the lack of a flash and notification light are kind of annoying. I am still using the Moto G as my daily until I figure out a proper fix for the broken camera after rooting. I am aware that setting selinux to permissive works, but that is not the greatest solution imho.

Hmm the camera is semi broken I had noticed, and solely because of root on android lollipop and selinux issues as far as I know?. It works on every 2nd boot if that makes sense. If its not working just reboot ur device it should wrk.

I love it how you always post stock ROMs. Could you post one for the LG Tribute please? I would like give you $20 bucks. If I had $20.

I have been testing a bunch of things and have concluded that Xposed Framework is causing my camera to break. I built a rooted rom, flashed it, and the camera was working with no issues. Then I flashed Xposed for Lollipop and the camera no longer works. Previously I thought root was causing the camera issues, now I believe otherwise.

I have been testing a bunch of things and have concluded that Xposed Framework is causing my camera to break. I built a rooted rom, flashed it, and the camera was working with no issues. Then I flashed Xposed for Lollipop and the camera no longer works. Previously I thought root was causing the camera issues, now I believe otherwise.
So it's not SELinux? (Just picked up an E on trade)

So it's not SELinux? (Just picked up an E on trade)
Hey man, nice to see you here :)

Yes, it is an selinux issue, but I am able to use the camera across reboots with root alone. Once Xposed is installed it breaks and will only occasionally work for currently unknown reasons. Setting selinux to permissive fixes the camera issue but I would really like to figure out a better way to handle it since selinux provides security for our devices.

Didn't realize you had picked one up too. Traded my N5 for a unlocked X2 and a Boost E ... I was pretty happy about it.

*Edit*
Just wished Boost allowed BYOD I'd liked to have activated to Moto X on the new 45 for 10GB plan but I was able to do it with the E. I see some development on XDA but CDMA seems to be rearing its ugly head again...it's early yet though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom