• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Boot Loops cant boot!!!

Shawnsac2000

Android Enthusiast
I have been using Mobster Rom last couple of days, did all the wipes. And re-installed MidNight Rom and all i get is boot loops. I am using 4ext, i even restored a backup. Still more boot loops, i installed different roms with no problem. What should i do???

I have been using Mobster Rom last couple of days, did all the wipes. And re-installed MidNight Rom and all i get is boot loops. I am using 4ext, i even restored a backup. Still more boot loops, i installed different roms with no problem. What should i do???

Your S-ON right?

Not exactly related but I was using the latest version of MeanROM. I was getting the usual "SMS Radio Shortage" bullshit, texts weren't sending or receiving. So I tried the ##CLEAR#, pressed Menu and pressed reset. It asked me for a password, which I left blank and pressed OK. It re-prompted me so I clicked Okay and the thing then said "Resetting" and reset and never booted back up. It got stuck at the boot animation for seemingly hours. Not knowing what to do, I tried flashing JMZ Stock De-Odex. I'm trying to avoid losing my /data because I have a lot of texts and stuff I simply don't want to lose. Its stuck at the boot logo. Just like MeanROM. Should I format my system? Can I avoid formatting my data? SUGGESTIONS?!

I'm S-OFF running JuopunutBear HBOOT-1.57.5757

EDIT: http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-all-things-root/630430-bricked-using-meanrom.html#post5063690

Rather easily if you have HBOOT unlocked, but I don't see how that could fix the issue. Go to advanced, format your system, data, cache, then try reinstalling Midnight ROM and post the results.

A no go! but i did notice before 4ext reboots it says a update to partition and will flash after boots. Something like that, all the times i installed roms. I don't remember it saying that. So maybe thats whats the problem.

You have to enable smart flash if you are s-on in 4ext options, or the kernel will not get installed properly.

Actually that method is probably what caused the issue.......... 4Ext's Smart Flash isn't a substitute for S-OFF its a potentially dangerous work-around that enables you to "flash kernels"

- if all else fails flash the RUU

About 4EXT SmartFlash

This is a new feature that allows recovery to flash your boot partition just like as if you were s-off.

Credits and thanks to Team Win and Dees_Troy for their commitment to the community, for their amazing idea with the Dumlock and for extra contacting me only to offer that I may use it.
You guys really rock!

SmartFlash is a different approach to Team Win's HTC Dumlock
Just use your recovery like you would if your device were s-off
No preparations needed, other than telling the recovery that your device is actually s-on
This is done when you install recovery and answer the question that you are s-on with "yes"
You can also change that setting later on via RecoveryControl -> Recovery settings, or by editing 4ext.prop manually
Recovery will autodetect any changes done to "boot" and only attempt to flash your boot partition if it was really changed
This even reduces unnecessary writes to "boot" when for example a new rom uses the same kernel as your previous one
Before updating your boot partition, recovery will always backup your boot partition to your sdcard just for the case something goes wrong
Only the 4 latest boot images are stored, older ones will be removed automatically to prevent taking up too much space.
In case you want to enable or disable that feature temporarily, you can use a switch inside the tools menu in recovery

How it works:

Recovery will detect any requested changes for your boot partition
When you reboot out of recovery, it will prepare updating your boot partition on next rom start
This means that your boot partition will be updated when you see the HTC Splash screen, followed by 1 reboot
So basically the only visible difference to when you are s-off is one additional reboot, which takes only a few seconds.
Recovery is NOT flashed to boot and boot is also only flashed once/update
Recovery will only attempt to flash your boot partition if it was really changed

Back
Top Bottom