• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Breaking and Entering

I haven't done anything to increase my security beyond replacing locks and installing deadbolts. I've looked at different security systems but have yet to invest. Yesterday I met with friends at the cabin and one of my friends brought me part of a retired security system from his local VFW. He has been actively upgrading their system and removing the old system. What I have is three wired cameras with wires for two cameras and an 8 camera DVR that has a bad 10T hard drive. I can buy a refurbished DVR for just over $100. The cables and additional cameras are chump change. It's a cheap way to get into some evidence collecting devices but trying to wire the system will be a genuine chore. A 70 year old full brick single family dwelling with no basement didn't have security in mind when constructed. :)

Reactions: rootabaga
Upvote 0
I haven't done anything to increase my security beyond replacing locks and installing deadbolts. I've looked at different security systems but have yet to invest. Yesterday I met with friends at the cabin and one of my friends brought me part of a retired security system from his local VFW. He has been actively upgrading their system and removing the old system. What I have is three wired cameras with wires for two cameras and an 8 camera DVR that has a bad 10T hard drive. I can buy a refurbished DVR for just over $100. The cables and additional cameras are chump change. It's a cheap way to get into some evidence collecting devices but trying to wire the system will be a genuine chore. A 70 year old full brick single family dwelling with no basement didn't have security in mind when constructed. :)
Yep, and it’s not like you can run panduit to carry the wires. Intent thieves can cut through it.
Do you have an attic? That would get you into the eaves which should be a good place for cameras.
Glad your friend hooked you up!
Good luck with it all.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I really like the Amcrest systems for connectivity without a subscription. However, after doing diligent research on their product lines, they do not have any cameras that run on batteries. They can source power from porch lights etc but their wireless is wireless video communication only. The system I was gifted has power and video coming from the DVR unit. Wireless or not, the running of power will be a nightmare at best. My wife will not put up with the wires running out of the ceiling. I'll have to fish all of those wires down an interior wall to the DVR and power. The more seriously I look at this project the more I talk myself out of it. :)

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I'm shopping again. This morning I was given 10% off of a Amcrest NVR and four wireless cameras. I'll shop them again tomorrow for I don't want four inside cameras that they quoted me. Two inside and two outside should cut it. She is good with a camera sitting on her end table looking at the door. I can mount the other in the mud room looking at the back door without getting into too much trouble. The two outside cameras will get their power from the porch lights. Unless I encounter a communication problem, which I don't foresee with this small dwelling, I should be in business.

Upvote 0
Naturally, the outdoor camera I want is discontinued. They have three wireless offerings and I'm not fond of any of them. One is not a great night camera, one has a flood light that comes on when the camera is activated, and the third an alarm. Their price for a NVR that will do 8 wireless cameras with a 4TB drive, two 4K wireless inside and two 4K wireless outside cameras with shipping and tax $453.99 No subscription. I don't know if that's reasonable or over priced. I hoped to spend less that five bills. I have an Ethernet cable and HDMI cable so I should need nothing but the time to set it all up and marry all the devices together.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones