• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bricked It. . . Help me!

Hello all, I seem to have screwed the pooch here. . .

I was driving home from work, using my Triumph in a similar manner to every other day. I keep it plugged in to a car charger, clipped into a windshield mount, and stream music through Bluetooth to an Alpine EX-10 bluetooth adaptor for my car stereo. I was playing music, rocking out to some classic Zeppelin, when all of a sudden, the music stopped. Looked at the EX-10's screen, it said the phone's bluetooth was disconnected. The phone's bluetooth icon hadn't changed, but I did notice that the cellular signal indicator was blank, with a small red circle w/ slash through it had appeared at the bottom left corner of the cell signal indicator. Tried making a phone call, nothing. Tried sending a text, still nothing.

So, I did what anyone else would have done, I shut the phone down, then turned it back on. It should be noted that at this point, the phone was quite warm to the touch, particularly the battery, but I attributed this to the fact that the battery was charging for about a half hour prior to this point.

When I turned the phone back on, it became stuck in a "Boot Loop", and even pulling the battery, reinserting, and attempting to boot into recovery mode (volume up+volume down+power button) was unsuccessful. No combination of keys made the phone boot up.

My question is this: My phone insurance will not cover the sudden hardware failure, since the phone is under warranty. Motorola's Customer Service said "We don't replace phones", and wants me to send my phone in for over a week for inspection and repair. The problem is this: The phone is rooted. I was under the impression that rooting the phone voided the warranty. I have a couple of options, I can send it to Motorola and risk being charged for the repairs, or I can smash the screen and file another insurance claim (they'll cover it if it is smashed, but not if it stops working. . . What if it gets smashed as a result of it not working?). Either way, I'm without a phone, and I've come to terms with the fact that my contacts list is gone.

Is there any way to determine just how badly bricked this phone is? Any way to force it out of the perpetual boot loop? Were the Russians right about a little physical persuasion going a long way with modern technology?

Just looking for a little help to get this phone back up and running, I can't afford to pay full price for another Android, and I'm seriously considering going the iPhone route and switching to Sprint if the problems with the Triumph persist. It's always been "glitchy", but this is the first time it's flat-out FAILED on me.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

i doubt its bricked.

i have two batteries and sometimes my phone refuses to boot into any special mode until i swap the batteries. no idea why that is, but try leaving your phone off for a bit, let it drain any capacitance it might be storing, and try again.

also try holding down the button combination without the battery in, and inserting the power cord. or holding them down and inserting the battery while they are held. i have to do this a LOT to make it work

Upvote 0
Virgin mobile will replace it for free. Even of it's hardware failiure...

Bit most likely it overheated or just took a fit. So leave it off and charge it over night then try again. If it doesn't work after that call virgin mobile

You know, I took it to the wireless store I bought it from this afternoon, and they said there was nothing they could do for me. They told me to file a claim with Asurion, the company that insures VM handsets, and best of luck. They did give me a loaner phone to use until the Triumph is replaced, but I don't know how to go about replacing it. lol

Do I just call Virgin Mobile support?

Upvote 0
i doubt its bricked.

i have two batteries and sometimes my phone refuses to boot into any special mode until i swap the batteries. no idea why that is, but try leaving your phone off for a bit, let it drain any capacitance it might be storing, and try again.

also try holding down the button combination without the battery in, and inserting the power cord. or holding them down and inserting the battery while they are held. i have to do this a LOT to make it work

I've been screwing around with the phone since I got home from work at 5:30, nothing works. I've tried everything you suggested numerous times.

Upvote 0
Call VM and tell them it froze up and went into a boot loop. That you tried pulling the battery, etc. so you don't have to sit on the phone with them while they "troubleshoot". They'll send you a new phone for free.

I wouldn't worry too much about it being rooted. I sent back 4 Intercepts in 2 months. The first one had a Sprint baseband (upgrading to Froyo with the Sprint update) and one was still rooted with the custom recovery. They sent me my new (refurb) phones with no problems.

You'll have a new phone in a day or two and then you have 2 weeks to try and get the old one working enough to get it back to stock if you're concerned about sending it back rooted.

Reactions: Dystra
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones