• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bricking and Bootscreens!

phirefaux

Apr 8, 2010
Central FL
Hah i think i may have.

Ill let you know what i was doing when this all happened.

I was trying to replace the default boot animation with the r2d2 animation. i originally just tried putting the bootanimation.zip in the system/media folder like on the Droid.

then i found that the boot animation for motoblur phones is located in system\framework\framework-res\assets\image

Removing or replacing Bootanimation

I tweaked the framework apk and put in a few test images then went to go replace the stock one that was in the framework folder. Apparently there was not enough room and instead of just stopping the copy process it seemed that root explorer deleted the original apk without replacing it with the new one. I forgot that my original bootanimation.zip was still in the system/media folder so i didnt have enough room to copy the new file to the framework folder.

afterwards root explorer force closed and and wouldnt let me reopen it. then the system seemed to keep looping force close errors and i tried to reset the phone. Once i reset the phone is now stuck at the white M bootscreen.

If i am able to fix this im pretty sure ill be able to get custom bootscreens on the devour the same way they did with the backflip in the link i posted.

any thoughts?
and thanks for reading!

(HUGE bump)
For your question of what to do to fix your Devour, probably flashing the SBF file is your only way out now (but you probably figured that out in the year since you bricked it).

As for custom bootscreens, bring 'em on! I made one myself using some of the images included in the APK. Instead of that ugly white "M" logo saying "blur" you just see a neat little "ANDROID" with a gleam that rocks back and forth. It's nothing super fabulous, but it's a start. I've got it running on my phone with no problems, and it looks way cooler than the moronic Motoblur logo.

I've uploaded that here:
framework-res.apk

I'm afraid there's nothing to be done about the white "M" screen when you first turn the phone on, I'm 90% sure that's in the boot partition of the phone. It would also be great if someone figured out how to make the animation simply loop instead of rock back and forth, but it's still a major improvement. I also left the "Verizon Wireless" animation at the end but that could be changed at any time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones