• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Broke contacts app when uninstalling Yahoo

Thanks for the Link..
Will this Flash Bring back the Yahoo Apps I need to make my contacts work?
Is flash 5.5.893 or 5.9.902 an older OS ? I've got a Razr MAxx it's got 6.12.173. I took this thing out of the box 2 days ago. Everything has been great on the phone except this Contact issue..

Sorry I read your post wrong, you need to flash the razor maxx fxz file which has not been released yet.

Upvote 0
Yes I deleted files like yahoo and myspace and twitter by mistake when first rooting my BiONiC
and promply game the force close on contacts when trying to edit.

I copied the following from fixcontacts.zip from droidforums.net. Sorry not sure if this is politically correct to post where I got it from.
So i copied it over and made changes with Root Explorer (Best 3.99 i've spent)

/system/app/blur_yahoo.apk
/sytem/app/blur_yahoo.odex
/system/app/com.motorola.blur.provider.yahoo.apk
/system/app/YahooContacts
/system/app/YahooContacts.apk
/system/app/YahooContacts.obex

and also

the two

Blur_twitter.odex
Blur_twitter.apk

Changed permissions checkmarked (Owner) Read Write
Changed permissions checkmarked (Group and Other) to Read only
Changed Owner to root for both files.

IT WORKED!!! I now can edit my contacts. and no Force Closes.

Hey, guys...I seemed to have made the same mistake...deleted some files I shouldn't have. I have saved the files to my SD card and when I try to move the files (via Root Explorer), it's telling me I can't move it to the system/app folder because it's read only...so I go to change the permissions and it won't let me because it doesn't allow permission changes while on the SD card.

Any assistance would be appreciated...I redeploy tomorrow and I'd like to get this fixed.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hey, guys...I seemed to have made the same mistake...deleted some files I shouldn't have. I have saved the files to my SD card and when I try to move the files (via Root Explorer), it's telling me I can't move it to the system/app folder because it's read only...so I go to change the permissions and it won't let me because it doesn't allow permission changes while on the SD card.

Any assistance would be appreciated...I redeploy tomorrow and I'd like to get this fixed.

Thanks!

you need to click the button at the top of root explorer the says r/w (it will then say r/o). It will then let you copy files to your system/app folder.

Upvote 0
So I have a similar issue... I've learned my lesson about freezing apps vs uninstalling them. Sometimes you just have to F up to learn LOL.

I tried to put the files in the system\app directory, changed permissions, and owners with no luck. So, I down loaded everything in the link above and tried to flash 902 with rsdlite... it gets to 6/22 and fails. It's trying to flash cdt.bin, but says phone returned fail.

I can get it to boot up if I hold both vol buttons and select boot normal, but it doesn't seem like my email is working. Plus every time I reboot now it goes to fastboot and says flash failed.

Any idea how I can fix this?

Upvote 0
So I have a similar issue... I've learned my lesson about freezing apps vs uninstalling them. Sometimes you just have to F up to learn LOL.

I tried to put the files in the system\app directory, changed permissions, and owners with no luck. So, I down loaded everything in the link above and tried to flash 902 with rsdlite... it gets to 6/22 and fails. It's trying to flash cdt.bin, but says phone returned fail.

I can get it to boot up if I hold both vol buttons and select boot normal, but it doesn't seem like my email is working. Plus every time I reboot now it goes to fastboot and says flash failed.

Any idea how I can fix this?

What file were you trying flash, the 5.5.893 or 5.9.902? You should be able to flash the 5.9.902 wth out any problems.

Upvote 0
What file were you trying flash, the 5.5.893 or 5.9.902? You should be able to flash the 5.9.902 wth out any problems.

I was on 902, but removed too much crap... then could not get anything to flash. I had to do it manually from this thread: [GUIDE] How To Receive OTAs Again If You Are On A Leak ***Proven Working Method*** - xda-developers

I then needed to do a fix cdt that I can't remember where I found it exactly. Should be able to google it if someone needs it. Now my phone automatically updated to 893, and immediately to 902. I did not lose root either!

Upvote 0
I too got too ambitious in my hoovering and ran into the same issue. I've got root explorer, DL'd fixcontacts.zip and the two files with the temporary .pdf extensions, extracted them, removed the .pdf extension from the two files, used root explorer to copy them all to system/app after having changed the folder to r/w, changed the permissions on all the copied files so that they are identical to the others in the folder (rw-r--r--), changed the owner to 0-root on all of them so they're like the rest of the files in the folder, changed the folder back to r/w, prayed to jesus, rebooted, and no dice: same error as originally. Any further suggestions? I'd re ally like not to have to flash back to factory.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Yes I deleted files like yahoo and myspace and twitter by mistake when first rooting my BiONiC
and promply game the force close on contacts when trying to edit.

I copied the following from fixcontacts.zip from droidforums.net. Sorry not sure if this is politically correct to post where I got it from.
So i copied it over and made changes with Root Explorer (Best 3.99 i've spent)

/system/app/blur_yahoo.apk
/sytem/app/blur_yahoo.odex
/system/app/com.motorola.blur.provider.yahoo.apk
/system/app/YahooContacts
/system/app/YahooContacts.apk
/system/app/YahooContacts.obex

and also

the two

Blur_twitter.odex
Blur_twitter.apk

Changed permissions checkmarked (Owner) Read Write
Changed permissions checkmarked (Group and Other) to Read only
Changed Owner to root for both files.

IT WORKED!!! I now can edit my contacts. and no Force Closes.

How did you change the file owner?

Upvote 0
I, too got too eager and deleted all kindsa bloatware on my Motorola Admiral right after I rooted.

And now can't access my Contacts.

I have root explorer and have been moving these files over to system/app and setting the permissions as recommended as well as setting the owner to root and the group to root.

I've done it for (I think) all the bloatware deleted, but I cannot see any of these apps in Titanium Backup (from whence I deleted them) and I still have a Force Close.

Anyone have any suggestions?

One thing that was not in the contacts fix folder was the Yahoo that wasn't an .apk or .odex that I see quoted above--was that a file mis-typed or am I missing one?

I love this phone and rooted I am excited to play with it, but I miss my contacts!

Thanks for all the help so far!

Upvote 0
Re-read the quotation

You don't install them. You have to manually move the files back into the folder, and you have to change permissions as well.

I highly suggest that you spend a lot more time reading and a lot less time jumping up to do something without fully understanding the steps. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I am trying to save you a lot of frustration and heartache - and this is one sure fire way to start messing your phone up, by not reading steps carefully and performing them according to what you are used to doing on another phone.

i have been trying this process for a while, taking my time to make sure its all done properly. i have had this broken contacts issue now for a while and never had the patience to sit down and try to fix it until i got a few new phone numbers i would really like to have saved under an actual name lol

i have copied the yahoo files into the proper place, changed the permissions, everything. still no dice. i know this doesnt fix the issue for everyone. i changed the owner to root as well. everything matches up with all the other files in system apps. im sorry for the repetition, as these issues have been adressed for others.

like those others, i made a stupid mistake not knowing what would happen. it hasnt really proven to be the biggest issue for me since i rarely make phone calls, or need to use my contacts for anything, until now heh.

is there something i may have missed in this process? im using r/w with root explorer. droidx2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones