• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help BSOD question

New Rising

Android Enthusiast
I've been getting the black screen of death once a day or every other day the past couple of weeks. Before It would only occasionally happen, but it's happening a lot more recently. I am in performance mode too. Is anyone else having this issue lately? Is it something I should consider returning under warranty for, or just wait for the OTA update?

BSOD=not normal. Time to get a replacement. It can also be an app but if you can't pinpoint which one, then I would get a replacement. If it happens again with your new phone, then it's more than likely an app.

Do a factory reset first, then see if it quits.

ugh, I've considered doing so, I just hate the idea of doing that and having to set everything up and downloading all my apps again. Especially if it doesn't work. If the bsod persists as bad as it has been then i'm probably going to try that first before returning it.

BSOD=not normal. Time to get a replacement. It can also be an app but if you can't pinpoint which one, then I would get a replacement. If it happens again with your new phone, then it's more than likely an app.

Any suggestions on how I might be able to pinpoint which app it could be if it is an app?

Factory reset, run long enough without adding apps that you would be getting bsod. Did change to many settings at once either. Then start adding one or two at a time running with them for the same length. Are you rooted? Running stock launcher?

I had bsod twice in same day and charging issues after installing PDAnet and Easytether. Was going to play around with them but uninstalled and been fine since.

Any suggestions on how I might be able to pinpoint which app it could be if it is an app?

Lol. If you hate the idea of factory resetting then you'll hate this even more. :p

I would remove all apps..then install them one by one maybe a couple of apps per day. Then test to see if you get the black screen with only those apps on your phone. If you don't get BSOD, then add a couple more apps...then test....and so on.

My warranty replacement cured my BSOD and now my battery life is out the roof. I use maybe 20% for the whole day with mild use. I have the extended battery.

Kevin

Lol. If you hate the idea of factory resetting then you'll hate this even more. :p

I would remove all apps..then install them one by one maybe a couple of apps per day. Then test to see if you get the black screen with only those apps on your phone. If you don't get BSOD, then add a couple more apps...then test....and so on.

Sireagle I'm not rooted, I'm stock. What I did today was removed a few apps i downloaded the pass couple weeks, because that's when it started happening. I'm going to see how that works for me first, then maybe a factory reset. If none of that works I'm returning it for a new one. Thanks for your guys help.

I would remove all apps..then install them one by one maybe a couple of apps per day. Then test to see if you get the black screen with only those apps on your phone. If you don't get BSOD, then add a couple more apps...then test....and so on.[/QUOTE

Sireagle I'm not rooted, I'm stock. What I did today was removed a few apps i downloaded the pass couple weeks, because that's when it started happening. I'm going to see how that works for me first, then maybe a factory reset. If none of that works I'm returning it for a new one. Thanks for your guys help.

What battery are you using? Maybe you have a bad extended battery? There are lots of apprent extended battery failures talked about in this forum.

A factory reset gives you the opportunity to clean up those odds-and-ends you have been ignoring. Removing tis or that app that you never use.

When they suggesting adding applications, you have to gobe them some time before adding more. If your failure is on average every 12 hours then give it 24 hours before adding each app.

Get the Apps grom the App Market. Note that recently come infected Apps were removed from the market. Maybe you had one of them.

What battery are you using? Maybe you have a bad extended battery? There are lots of apprent extended battery failures talked about in this forum.

A factory reset gives you the opportunity to clean up those odds-and-ends you have been ignoring. Removing tis or that app that you never use.

When they suggesting adding applications, you have to gobe them some time before adding more. If your failure is on average every 12 hours then give it 24 hours before adding each app.

Get the Apps grom the App Market. Note that recently come infected Apps were removed from the market. Maybe you had one of them.

I think I'm actually starting to discover that it's my standard battery. I've been using my extended battery only since saturday. I haven't had the bsod once. The past few weeks I've been draining down my extended battery then putting the standard one in. The past 2-3 weeks is when this started. So I'm thinking I have a defective battery. I got my extended battery after the first week of having the phone so I rarely ever used the standard one until now. So I'm gonna see about getting a new one.

I think I'm actually starting to discover that it's my standard battery. I've been using my extended battery only since saturday. I haven't had the bsod once. The past few weeks I've been draining down my extended battery then putting the standard one in. The past 2-3 weeks is when this started. So I'm thinking I have a defective battery. I got my extended battery after the first week of having the phone so I rarely ever used the standard one until now. So I'm gonna see about getting a new one.

It is also recommended that you "condition" any battery. Let it run down to 0% then charge it to 100%. Repeat the process about three times.

... Thom

It is also recommended that you "condition" any battery. Let it run down to 0% then charge it to 100%. Repeat the process about three times.

... Thom

Yeah i do that with my ext battery every week, i did it with my standard battery twice last week. I'm pretty sure it's the standard battery that's the problem and giving me this issue. At least I hope, no problems with my ext battery so far.

Something that has worked for some is to pull the sim card clean the connections then reinsert it. And nake sure it goes in all the way.

I'll have to try that out and see if it helps any. Right now I'm really thinking it's my standard battery that came with the phone. I called best buy and ordered another one and should get it by next week hopefully. If the bsod continues to happen i'll probably return it for a new Bionic.

So after getting worthless results from 1 888 best buy, I decided to call some verizon stores to see if i could get my battery swapped. Since im still with in the 1 year warranty and after calling 4 stores I got a hold of one that had a battery and they swapped it for me. My battery life is much better on the standard now and haven't had the bsod yet. So if anyone is getting the bsod I recommend trying a new battery.

Back
Top Bottom