• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Buttertoast kernal - pros and cons

no bug for me, i have had it for a month now, everything works. good ? better core control, you will be able to pick different governor with buttertoast and lots of other things. i dont see anything downside in using buttertoast.

no bug for me, i have had it for a month now, everything works. good ? better core control, you will be able to pick different governor with buttertoast and lots of other things. i dont see anything downside in using buttertoast.

what about battery life

Battery life is how you set the kernel...the right settings give a great battery life with this kernel.

I'm clocked 486 min/1500something max, lagfree. My batterylife could be better. Your mileage will vary

Battery life is how you set the kernel...the right settings give a great battery life with this kernel.

I'm clocked 486 min/1500something max, lagfree. My batterylife could be better. Your mileage will vary

is it true duel core like mobsters and single core when shut off?

Its dual core when needed, and single core when not. If it was dual core all the time...youre battery would be gone.

Its dual core when needed, and single core when not. If it was dual core all the time...youre battery would be gone.

good im using mobsters rom HD 1/28/13, any major differences between mobsters and buttertoast besides the ability to over clock

to sum up, try it , no downside. install Kernel Tuner afterwards to use those controls. reflash rom if don't like, to get original kernel back .... which i just cant see happening ...

S-off is usually needed to flash kernel, however u might be able to use 4ext Smart Flash to flash it s-on . If that's what u wanna do mb u should wait until more people comment on this in the morning, to be more certain.

S-off is usually needed to flash kernel, however u might be able to use 4ext Smart Flash to flash it s-on . If that's what u wanna do mb u should wait until more people comment on this in the morning, to be more certain.

Since you can Fastboot Flash Kernels I'd say S-Off is so you can go beyond Stock based Roms and the Stock Android Version

I'm S-Off and on a modified stock ROM...>.>

I dunno. Sense just appeals to me I guess. Even though themeing it is a pain in the rear at times...Everythings so baked into the framework and whatnot that one mess up renders a ROM useless at times -.-;;

I'm S-Off and on a modified stock ROM...>.>

I dunno. Sense just appeals to me I guess. Even though themeing it is a pain in the rear at times...Everythings so baked into the framework and whatnot that one mess up renders a ROM useless at times -.-;;

same here, Harmonia with butter is real good with 0 issue. And sense mail and agenda app look great, being able to flip through "pages" of email still cool.

I found a Butteredtoast con: no boot on 1/30 CM10.1 VM build :P Wiped cache and dalvik and tried twice with different aroma settings. No boot anim. Reflashing rom got a boot again.

i wouldnt call that a con, if something is not capable, its not capable. plus considering how new the rom is, this kinda thing should be expected.

When I installed Buttered Toast, I wasn't ready for the barrage of questions before the install. So I didn't bother asking about them here, I just went with it.

One particular question...on the max CPU freq. question, i chose the Qualmax standard of 1.5GHz. I thought that would be the starting max freq. but I think it's the max freq. possible period.

Kernel Tuner can't seem to OC past 1512Hz. Do I need to reinstall the kernel and choose the highest setting? BTW, it was 1.7GHz, not 1.8 or 1.9. Did I read about Buttered Toast being OC to 1.8, or was that MAC Kernel?

Also, is there a set on boot option with Kernel Tuner, or does every real time change affect the newly booted freq as well?

I've tried buttertoast kernel and used the settings Mobz posted that he used and noticed my phone got hot a lot and I went into a bootloop. Reflashed his ROM and had no intentions of trying it again.

When I installed Buttered Toast, I wasn't ready for the barrage of questions before the install. So I didn't bother asking about them here, I just went with it.

One particular question...on the max CPU freq. question, i chose the Qualmax standard of 1.5GHz. I thought that would be the starting max freq. but I think it's the max freq. possible period.

Kernel Tuner can't seem to OC past 1512Hz. Do I need to reinstall the kernel and choose the highest setting? BTW, it was 1.7GHz, not 1.8 or 1.9. Did I read about Buttered Toast being OC to 1.8, or was that MAC Kernel?

Also, is there a set on boot option with Kernel Tuner, or does every real time change affect the newly booted freq as well?

The Aroma settings do set things to the max OC possible. Basically it writes the kernel you want to install. If you want to OC higher than that, wipe cache and reinstall.

KT saves its settings and reapplies them on boot. Even if you flash a different kernel without wiping data, it will remember applicable settings and set them on boot.

The Aroma settings do set things to the max OC possible. Basically it writes the kernel you want to install. If you want to OC higher than that, wipe cache and reinstall.

KT saves its settings and reapplies them on boot. Even if you flash a different kernel without wiping data, it will remember applicable settings and set them on boot.

OK, so as I suspected, when I installed Buttered Toast, and chose 1.5GHz as my max CPU clock, that made a hard limit to my clock, and Kernel Tuner was only able to OC up to that point.

Also, I noticed you're in Charlotte. CLT represent!!!

EDIT:

I reinstalled the kernel, and something else caught my attention. During the Aroma install, I had the option to set the max cpu when the screen was off. I went with the setting that the developed uses which was one notch above the Anthrax recommended.

However in Kernel Tuner, the max freq when screen off is set to 192MHz and is grayed out.

Back
Top Bottom