• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Buttertoast kernal - pros and cons

I just flashed buttered toast, and it seems pretty nice. Everything seems smooth, and for those who care, I average 3600-3800 Quadrant scores.

Anyone running Mobster HD and ButteredToast, please try something for me.

Can you take screenshots with pwr + home? What about pwr + vol down?

ALso, do you have sweep to wake enabled?

I can take screenshots with power and volume down, but I never figured out how to take pics with a soft key home button (it doesn't work). I had sweep to wake enable before and screenshots worked, and now I disabled it and they still work. I'm on the version with Sense.

I'm not running Mobster atm so I can't test it for you.

When I was running it, I did have s2w enabled and just used the power down menu to take screenshots. :D

I'm running Mobster Rom HD Lite (12-29-12, not the most recent) w/Buttered Toast. No sweep to wake.
I also cannot get a screenshot using Pwr+vol or Pwr+home. The only way I can get it to work is by holding the Pwr button and then selecting Screenshot from the Power menu.

HTH,

J

I'm running Mobster Rom HD Lite (12-29-12, not the most recent) w/Buttered Toast. No sweep to wake.
I also cannot get a screenshot using Pwr+vol or Pwr+home. The only way I can get it to work is by holding the Pwr button and then selecting Screenshot from the Power menu.

HTH,

J

Interesting. I went all the way back to the stock JMZ ROM ODEX and was able to get pwr+home to work, but pwr+vol dwn didn't work...even on the JMZ ROM.

I just tried a few different options with Mobster and Buttered Toast. I thought the home key being part of the s2w had something to do with it, so I started sweep with menu instead. Didn't work.
Then I tried it without s2w and now I can take screenshots with pwr+home.

Any ideas what BT is doing to make screenshots not work? Something I've found...if I install the kernel WITHOUT S2W support, and then enable S2W support using Kernel Tuner app, sweeping from right to left takes a screenshot. Sweeping from left to right still turns the screen off like it should.

What I know so far:

1. My phone never takes screnshots with pwr+vol dwn (even on JMZ stock)
2. Installing BT with sweep to wake controls enabled disables my screenshot taken with pwr+home.
3. Installing BT without sweep to wake controls allows me to take screenshots while pressing pwr+home
4. Enabling sweep to wake using kernel tuner when I never enabled it in BT allows me to take a screenshot by sweeping right to left. Sweeping in the opposite direction actually turns the screen off.

I am about to restore my most recent copy of NAND and see what happens when I disable S2W with Kernel Tuner, and then I'll edit this thread.

Hang on a second, I just found something else cool. If I install BT and turn off S2W during the Aroma Installer, I can still take screenshots. I just discovered that using Kernel Tuner to make the sweep stop at menu instead of home fixes this for me. I can now sweep from left to right and right to left, as long as I enable the sweeping from Kernel Tuner, NOT the Aroma installer, and as long as I leave the HOME button out of the sweep path. Why the heck does a right to left sweep take a screen shot?

What's sorta cool now is that I can stop my sweep at menu, or go all the way and take a screenshot.

This is so freaking weird.

How is buttered toast installed. If the answer is use Aroma, where do you get it and how is it installed? The XDA thread is for those who already know how to do it.

How is buttered toast installed. If the answer is use Aroma, where do you get it and how is it installed? The XDA thread is for those who already know how to do it.

Well the xda thread is where you get it... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1927837

Boot into recovery, wipe cache/dalvik, install from sd card.

After choosing it to install, you will be walked through all settings in aroma. You can simply next through everything to use the default settings, or select different options on the ones you want. There are little notes next to a lot of the options. And a lot of them say Recommended or something similar.

Then reboot after it's finished and it will be installed with all the options you chose...

Brian, is Aroma contained in the same zip as is available at that link? That is, do I flash this kernel just like an updated rom using a standard recovery and the Aroma part is automatic?

Brian, is Aroma contained in the same zip as is available at that link? That is, do I flash this kernel just like an updated rom using a standard recovery and the Aroma part is automatic?

Yep. Aroma installer is just a user interface that pops up automatically when you go to flash the zip through recovery. Some roms are starting to use aroma as well, so that you can customize the rom installation.

Just download the Buttered Toast zip, and flash through recovery. The installer will automatically come up and you just use the touch screen to select your options. :)

Yep. Aroma installer is just a user interface that pops up automatically when you go to flash the zip through recovery. Some roms are starting to use aroma as well, so that you can customize the rom installation.

Just download the Buttered Toast zip, and flash through recovery. The installer will automatically come up and you just use the touch screen to select your options. :)

Very cool.

I've had tremendous success and stability with Harmonia + Anthrax 3.5.0 RC2 (weeks without a crash) but I'll give this one a try.

I've been using Buttered Toast kernel with Mobster's HD Lite ROM for the longest now, and I had no issues with it whatsoever. Even though it's based off of Anthrax, Buttered Toast gave me better performance and stability.

Back
Top Bottom