• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buy a case! Or else...

You guys keep talking about these silicon cases, but i can't imagine they're easy to get into and remove from pants pockets. Is it? I'm currently using my blackjack II's leather sleeve until I find one that fits the DI.

It's not hard to get in and out of pockets at all. The material is glossy, so it slides in and out nicely. The only thing that's difficult with the case is getting the actual phone out.

Upvote 0
Well when I got the $1.99 insurance I felt it was better than nothing especially with people talking about the power button ect. I hope to be careful now and assume the only failure would be caused by the phone and not abuse. I figured at $89 and $4.00 extra per month for at least a year before an upgrade which we all know we will do I save a bit now and have some kind of guarantee.

Upvote 0
I bought the black silicone case the day before the phone was released and have been using it since. Haven't had any drops or anything, but I don't find getting the phone out of the case a big deal.

When I need to get the case off, I flip the phone upside down so the track-pad is at the top. Then just pick either corner and roll the case back with your thumbs on either side of the corner. From there you can peel it back off the other corner and then just slide the actual top of the phone out of the case. It takes me less than 5 seconds to remove it. I just reverse then when putting it on - ie. slide the top of the phone into the case first, then just pop each of the bottom corners in. I've been doing this every other night or so right before I put it on the charger for the night to wipe the phone down to keep down on any crude gathered from going in/out of my pocket all day and/or greasy fingerprints.

Upvote 0
Yeah kind of disapointing , coming from the Eris which was a mini tank.

Guess I was unlucky then. My eris was dropped once...once from 3 feet.. instant cracked glass... owned it 8 days. :(

Have (will be had) Best Buy insurance... worst mistake I ever made! 31 days & they STILL have the frickin phone! They've owned it more than I have! :mad:

Not a mark on it and they STILL refused to replace it. I'll never step foot in that store again..

Best Buy SUCKS!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Everyone is saying how easy it breaks, mine was thrown across the room into a dresser by an angry gf and its still working fine with no cracked screen.

Guess I'm lucky

I think that means that she's the one. :D

I've got the silicon case, but it makes me wonder how much protection it actually provides. its pretty thin and tight so I'm not sure how much energy is being absorbed and how much is going to the phone. I guess its better than nothing and I'm surely not going to test it.

Upvote 0
I picked up the leather wrapped snap on case from Verizon. Looks OK, and the leather provides just a bit of padding. Slides in and out of the pocket nicely. Also, the camera lens is inset about 1/64th of an inch and there is about 1/16th inch around the perimeter of the screen. Only issue is the perimeter makes it a little more difficult to hit the edge keys while texting in portrait mode.

Upvote 0
Does anyone experience this with their stock browser? When I click on the attached image from the first post (the broken screen), the browser screen turns dark grey but the image does not pop up. So I have to zoom the web page to get a close up look of the attached image instead. I think there might be something wrong with my browser.

Upvote 0
Hope you had good insurance on it. I just got my replacement Droid Incredible from Asurion. Though $89 co-pay sucks.
Mine's in a worse condition than yours. I had a motorcycle accident at 60-70 mph and it was in my front coat pocket. Destroyed the screen much more than that. Hospital threw it away I think, so I lost my microSD card that could have possibly been salvageable and had to claim it as lost.

Upvote 0
Does anyone experience this with their stock browser? When I click on the attached image from the first post (the broken screen), the browser screen turns dark grey but the image does not pop up. So I have to zoom the web page to get a close up look of the attached image instead. I think there might be something wrong with my browser.

Long press>open in new window

Upvote 0
Wow, that sucks man, sorry to hear. I have the red/black gradient case and I just dropped it the other day pulling it out of my pocket(roughly 3 feet high) and it landed on a hard wood floor also. When it landed it popped out of the case, but aside from that nothing happened to it. Pretty damn glad I decided to get it, now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones