• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Calling Mantera,Whyzor, & Yumbrad! USB HOST Can we do it!?! I think YES!

Raptor5150

Android Enthusiast
Figured id start a new thread so the devs could look into this.. after all whyzor suggested it.. and if i posted in one of the build threads.. it would get buried :P so lets make this a helpful thread for all you kernel and devs out there in our community lets try to keep this up so it doesnt get buried it self.

Most devices with removable storage support Usb Host.. with ICS, things with internal storage do not I.E. Galaxy Nexus which is good for us as we have removable storage.

Now CM9 USB host is enabled per this thread for a HP touchpad:

CM9 - OTG USBCable Host support? - RootzWiki - Page 2

And if our device could use USB power that would be a + so you dont need a hub and or Y Cable but thats up to the kernel.. now Usb host should be fully possible as its not a hardware limitation but a kernel thing

Very amazing write up on Host mode for the galaxy S:

[KERNEL][ICS-CM9 or JVU] USB Host mode (OTG) driver for SGS i9000 [BUILD 5] - xda-developers

usb host controller app:

https://market.android.com/details?id=hu.sztupy.android.usbhostcontroller + info for snapdragon chipsets

Nexus One USB host mode driver

Mantera i know you and the others such as Yum Whyzor and Austrie are kernel masters ;) so hopefully we can get this going..

I have ordered an OTG cable and am getting a Y-cable thanks to Marc :D

so i will be able to test changes or status if need be.. or im up to shipping the OTG cable to one of the devs for personal testing..

So here ya go whyzor :) heres my thread :D

i'd reply if i clearly understood what it was... :D (wait, i just replied!)

but yea it would be cool to add :)

i'd reply if i clearly understood what it was... :D (wait, i just replied!)

but yea it would be cool to add :)

It lets you use your phone like a USB port for various peripherals like a USB flash drive or a controller or a keyboard and mouse its pretty awesome.

Well, if you are not getting responses, it is probably because the people reading don't know the answer or are not interested in the project.

If it is something you really want I would suggest 2 options:
  1. Get a capable dev interested in your project (may not be easy).
  2. Learn how to work on the project yourself (for this it would entail learning how to work on the kernel).

If you really want to get a certain person's attention it is pretty easy to use the Private Message function here.

Already pm'd mantera about it but it went unnoticed (what else is new) whatever just forget it obviously I'm "too obnoxious" to try and help get something started. close the thread I don't care anymore people always treat me this way when I try to help. I'm done.

Already pm'd mantera about it but it went unnoticed (what else is new) whatever just forget it obviously I'm "too obnoxious" to try and help get something started. close the thread I don't care anymore people always treat me this way when I try to help. I'm done.

It hasn't even been 12 hours since you first posted this. Geez have some patience. You think the devs are just going to drop whatever else they are in the middle of to research and pick up this project?
I'm just guessing here, but I bet they don't know enough about this project to give any kind of educated response yet. That and there are still many core features that are missing from ICS that are being worked on that have a higher priority.

It hasn't even been 12 hours since you first posted this. Geez have some patience. You think the devs are just going to drop whatever else they are in the middle of to research and pick up this project?
I'm just guessing here, but I bet they don't know enough about this project to give any kind of educated response yet. That and there are still many core features that are missing from ICS that are being worked on that have a higher priority.

It's not obnoxious to ask for help. :) When you start complaining when people don't respond immediately, it can be off putting. :( Give it some time, and I would refrain from remarks like "what else is new" (that I quoted above) if you want to try convincing them to help you out. Being nice and giving them time will help a lot more than complaining. ;) It may be something they look at when they work out what they feel is a higher priority. I can't blame them for placing things they want above what others want in all of this as they are not getting paid, and share their work with us anyway.

I don't know enough about the kernels to personally help you out, or I would at least take a look into it. :( Since it would be dealing with kernel code you can check with other developers as well, they may be able to take a look and help you out. In that situation, I would stress that you be especially patient. This stuff can take time and people may have other projects/jobs/home lives that take precedence over work that is requested by someone that isn't a feature they would use themselves.

Seriously I wasent being obnoxious i was trying to get a simple evaluation a proof of concept. Thats all. I PM'd him yesterday no response (more than 12 hours) I asked Whyzor about it who had the decency to PM me like an hour later & say hey Idk man.. you should start a thread about it.. and here we are..

Going unnoticed hurts if you couldnt tell.. a simple 2 minute "ill look into it in the future or soon" is better than nothing. I dont like being ignored.

im pretty sure that all the devs have been asked as far as i know.. even austrie who doesnt even have a phone. So we only have a handful of kernel people here to my knowladge.

and yes im venting.. which i needed.

Its all good man... don't let it bother you, be the bigger man.

But yes give its a couple days or so. And you should get an answer sooner or later.

To devs: please look into this, it sounds like it would be a widely wanted feature in cm9 and even cm7 if possible.

While I'm sure we all appreciate that the perception of being ignored isn't the most pleasant of feelings, I think you might find it helpful to simply step back for a moment.

According to my computer you created the OP at 3:55am on a Monday morning (my time) and were upset about the lack of responses 8 hours later. Please remember that it's Monday and many of these developers have real jobs that they work to pay the bills and allow them to work their magic on ROM's. While I know that you are eager for feedback on the idea and additional discourse... give people a day or two to think about your suggestions and formulate their own responses or follow-on questions/comments.

Seriously I wasent being obnoxious i was trying to get a simple evaluation a proof of concept. Thats all. I PM'd him yesterday no response (more than 12 hours) I asked Whyzor about it who had the decency to PM me like an hour later & say hey Idk man.. you should start a thread about it.. and here we are..

Going unnoticed hurts if you couldnt tell.. a simple 2 minute "ill look into it in the future or soon" is better than nothing. I dont like being ignored.

im pretty sure that all the devs have been asked as far as i know.. even austrie who doesnt even have a phone. So we only have a handful of kernel people here to my knowladge.

and yes im venting.. which i needed.

Apparently, the fact that I have a life, work, and family and don't have the time to sit on the forums all day long most of the time is "ignoring" you. I apologize for that. Oh and the 5 minutes of free time that I had in the last 2 days I spent in posting an update to the cm9 Alpha. Again, I apologize for that. Sheesh.

To answer your question, a while ago, I looked into what it would take to implement USB OTG. Basically, my conclusion at the time was that it will take a lot of coding and time to get it working on our phones. I did not have the time nor inclination then to spend doing that for a feature that I personally will never use nor do I currently have the time nor inclination to do anything further with that.

However, if somebody does want to spend the time to get it working, I will be more than happy to cherry-pick their commits into our code base so that everyone will have access.

Apparently, the fact that I have a life, work, and family and don't have the time to sit on the forums all day long most of the time is "ignoring" you. I apologize for that. Oh and the 5 minutes of free time that I had in the last 2 days I spent in posting an update to the cm9 Alpha. Again, I apologize for that. Sheesh.

To answer your question, a while ago, I looked into what it would take to implement USB OTG. Basically, my conclusion at the time was that it will take a lot of coding and time to get it working on our phones. I did not have the time nor inclination then to spend doing that for a feature that I personally will never use nor do I currently have the time nor inclination to do anything further with that.

However, if somebody does want to spend the time to get it working, I will be more than happy to cherry-pick their commits into our code base so that everyone will have access.

It's ok mantera its just been a stressful weekend for alot of us.. I apologize but the last couple times I have pmd you I didn't get a reply so I did figure you were ignoring me.. My apologies..

Anyway why is it going to take alot of coding if CM9 supports it natively? Just curious and when I get my OTG cable and we hit beta ill send it to you or anyone else who would want to look into it.. Hopefully when Austrie gets his new phone he can help me out.. I will pay him for the work obviously.. Or even yumbrad..

But yes how much coding are we talking and why will it take so much I wonder..

It's ok mantera its just been a stressful weekend for alot of us.. I apologize but the last couple times I have pmd you I didn't get a reply so I did figure you were ignoring me.. My apologies..

Anyway why is it going to take alot of coding if CM9 supports it natively? Just curious and when I get my OTG cable and we hit beta ill send it to you or anyone else who would want to look into it.. Hopefully when Austrie gets his new phone he can help me out.. I will pay him for the work obviously.. Or even yumbrad..

We don't have 3.0 kernel. What we have doesn't support it natively as far as I understand it.

There are two parts of Android. One is the kernel (Linux) the other is the virtual machine (Android). CM9 is the Android part. That's why it would need kernel support to work. Also, after the kernel has the support, Android would need to be connected to it (driver). And that doesn't even mean the USB port can physicly do it.
Think of it as an entertainment system
You have the TV,DVD, Game console,... They need to be compatable with each other. If your TV doesn't have s-video, but your DVD player only has s-video. You ain't watching a DVD.

since this threads been a bit rough, i just wanted to give a shout out to mantera and thank him for all his hard work on CM9. I really love the work you've been in so far and really appropriate it. Looking forward to new updates, and take your time =)

For the record, I would also love to have this feature if there are any developers considering it and who have the time to do this.

Guys, guys, guys....

We're politely asking that the drama, name calling and fighting stop NOW! Take a few minutes and reread the Forum Rules and Guidelines and the Zero Tolerance Policy linked therein.

We NEED you to act respectfully. We need you to take a few minutes and think your posts through before clicking submit. We need you to act like adults. We need you to be the users that everyone on staff knows that you are (and are capable of being).

We've had to clean this thread a few times now. We don't want to crack the whip. We will if we need to though. To be completely honest, it's disappointing. PLEASE don't make us have to clean this thread again. Stay polite... keep your cool... stay on topic (all without rude posting and without the personal attacks and name calling).

Thanks for your help guys... Feel free to contact any of the Moderators if you need to to discuss any issues.

Back
Top Bottom