• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Camera Question

ccsoccer03

Aug 23, 2010
Warning!!!: Please safely unmount your SD card before attempting this. It is very easy to completely wipe your SD card. It is also an easy way to brick your phone playing with options you dont know what does. You have been warned!!!

In the Service menu ##lgservicemenu (service code is all 0's)
When You Click All Auto Test -LG, Then click either Camera Test or Video Test, it Causes the Camera to appear, but its not the Arc Camera version. Somehow it causes the Camera to appear in what I know as the Stock Android Camera box. Can This be used to make the camera work outside of lgs build?? I know thats how the velocity Flashlight was made. Now I'm out of my league at making assumptions and it may very well still require the arc camera application... but i just stumbled on it myself today plundering around

Edit: Not to meantion its SOOO much faster loading and taking pictures/taking video and stopping video.

Well i understand that. All i was wondering is if it meant that the camera works the same as the others, only written in a different way.

Why would the test use androids native app if its totally proprietary? Does this app have the same logs as the other camera? Thats my curiousity. If this is a differently written app that can be copied.

Reactions: k.c.cole
Upvote 0
Well i understand that. All i was wondering is if it meant that the camera works the same as the others, only written in a different way.

Why would the test use androids native app if its totally proprietary? Does this app have the same logs as the other camera? Thats my curiousity. If this is a differently written app that can be copied.

It isnt the app thats the problem, it is the libraries for the camera. To get the camera to work you need the proprietary lib files that work with aosp (kinda like drivers). If we had these it wouldnt matter what app we used to take pictures

Upvote 0
DON'T Use this app. Everytime you use it and take a picture, it wipes your SD card. NOT pleasent to find out. :-(

I have been trying to get it to wipe my sdcard all morning. How'd you manage this?

You sure you didnt hit some other things in the testing menu?

As for making this the default camera app that would be nice. Ill look into it a bit

Reactions: azuma73
Upvote 0
Its the ALL AUTO Test feature. At the end... for some odd reason it wipes your sd card. I found that out the hard way and had to use recovery tools to recover my pictures. And that would be awesome sav if you could find out how to use that camera app instead. Meanwhile, D2A and I are hounding LG to see why they wont release all the code.

Edit: I've been able to reproduce it multiple times now. What happens is, I click Video test, then press the back button repeatedly after its loaded. It will go to a solid blank screen and the next thing you see in the notification bar is "preparing sd card..." Which means you just got formatted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones