• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I set it up so I can use Google assistant on my locked phone when I'm on my wifi only?

Ok, well, that's good to know, how do I go about doing that? is it a 3rd party thing? Or it would be in my google assistant settings? I didn't see anything like that, but maybe I missed it, or maybe my android version is too old? I have P20 Pro.

To be clear, I would like google assistant to be able to be used fully when locked, without any restrictions, but only when I'm hooked up to designated wifi hotspots.

Upvote 0
Ok, well, that's good to know, how do I go about doing that? is it a 3rd party thing? Or it would be in my google assistant settings? I didn't see anything like that, but maybe I missed it, or maybe my android version is too old? I have P20 Pro.

Google Assistant should still work on that phone, as long as it's not a Chinese version Huawei. If you have a P20 Pro variant that was intended for sale and use in China, it maybe offered an OTA update to Huawei's own Harmony OS. Assistant won't work with this.

To be clear, I would like google assistant to be able to be used fully when locked, without any restrictions, but only when I'm hooked up to designated wifi hotspots.

I presume you're talking about the screen-lock, and not things like carrier SIM-locks? If the phone is screen-locked with a PIN etc,, I'm pretty sure you can't use Google Assistant unrestricted. Assistant only works when the device is connected to the internet, like via WiFi hotspots.

Upvote 0
just go into your phone's settings and go into the settings for google assistant. or you can do a search just go up at the top some where and there should be a search icon. search for google assistant. one of the options should be for your lock screen. you should be able to toggle the setting on or off.

and as far as to "only be used on wifi".......that is not a possibility. it is can either be turned on or off.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Ok thanks. That sucks. I mean, being able to say "hey google" or whatever, even use the assistant on the lockscreen, is pretty pointless, since you have to touch the phone anyway, and you can quickly unlock with fingerprint, plus most features will ask you to unlock before you can use them.

And the security risks make sense, but I would like the choice, if I'm at home, to remove that restriction. So, if I'm on my own wifi, I could use it even with the screen off. But I guess that might drain too much power, also.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones