• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I setup a Roku without a credit card?

Rgarner

Android Expert
My friend bought a used Roku. It's all set up except for the part about adding a card. He doesn't want to do that or any other payment method and I don't blame hin. Why should he if he's not going to buy anything from them? How does he skip this step?

Now it says it cannot confirm the email address. I had the message sent again and again. What's next?

I bought a 24" Roku about 3 weeks ago and set it up inside my RV/Car/Port. It wasn't difficult to set up without a credit card. We just use it for the free channels available.

5176133832433729550.jpg

Last edited:
I don't get why it couldn't confirm. It sent the message to the email address just fine. I checked with the seller who said it was factory reset. Why can it send a message to the email address and then be unable to confirm when I hit it?

I don't get why it couldn't confirm. It sent the message to the email address just fine. I checked with the seller who said it was factory reset. Why can it send a message to the email address and then be unable to confirm when I hit it?
what do you mean it is unable to confirm? is there a link or web address to confirm the email? or there is no link or is the link bad? is there an error?

There is a link. It's the kind to be tapped or clicked, but when I do, it says that it could not verify. If it can send it in the first place, how the heck can it not verify? I have tried numerous times on more than one day. Why do they even need that? Earlier in the process it asked where the device was located, which room. I suppose one of these days they're going to require a floor plan. It's ridiculous. I wish I could post a screenshot, but I think we all know about my luck with such things...

There is a link. It's the kind to be tapped or clicked, but when I do, it says that it could not verify. If it can send it in the first place, how the heck can it not verify? I have tried numerous times on more than one day. Why do they even need that? Earlier in the process it asked where the device was located, which room. I suppose one of these days they're going to require a floor plan. It's ridiculous. I wish I could post a screenshot, but I think we all know about my luck with such things...
does it give a reason why? those verify emails usually are timed and they do not work after so long. it is a security issue which is why you need to verify. usually the location will help to idetify which roku device you have, if you have multiple roku devices. i have two chromecasts and i had to name them and it also asked which room the devices were in so that i know if i have an issue i can identify which one.

Back
Top Bottom