• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can I simple root in this situation?

hortstu

Android Enthusiast
I followed the tutorial here

[TUTORIAL] How To Root The HTC EVO ~ Part-1 \0/ - xda-developers

and got hung up half way through it. So now I finally have access to a windows computer for a short time. I'd like to simple root, but I don't know if what I finished will impede the process.

I flashed the pc136img.zip file. I just tried to install and use titanium backup and it said that it could not gain root access.

Should I start at step 1?

Ok so I tried running simple root. I have htc sync installed and everything else that the tutorials say. I click on step 1 and when I press power to go into the boot loader it doesn't find the image. So I end up back at the fastboot recovery etc menu.

Can anyone help me out here?

Are you starting from 2.1 0r 2.2? If you want to use simpleroot, you have to be at 2.1, but unrevoked3.21 just came out, you may want to try that if you are having problems

yes I'm 2.1

I thought 3.2 was still down? Do you have a link? I don't see it at unrevoked.com

Thanks for the help.

in progress. I need to update to 2.2 first I think. Once I do that I'll get on with it... I've put that off so long thinking it would make the process harder that now I'm hesitant to just update to 2.2

I'm hesitant to go this route. I rely on usb tethering via easy tether for an internet connection with my laptop. After all the trouble I've had getting root I'd hate to be stuck on 2.2 without tethering ability. I'd be w/o internet until Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom