• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I update to Froyo while rooted?

scubab

Newbie
I've rooted my CDMA HTC Desire and had a custom ROM for 2.2. Since the official Froyo was released today I restored with my last Nandroid backup which reverted it to the custom ROM but unfortunately I've lost the backup I did before rooting. From what I understand doing an oficial upgrade on a rooted phone will brick it and the kicker is, at least everywhere I've read, there is no stock RUU available for the USCC CDMA Desire. Any advice as to what I can do to get the official 2.2 installed without destroying my phone?
 
from what i understood if you upgrade whilst rooted all it does is remove your root access (so you'll have to root again once updated.) but dont quote me on that.

EDIT:

Hold the phone, i've now read that what you say is correct, if you use an OTA update on a rooted device it sticks on the boot, so the best thing is simply unroot your device, upgrade and reroot. Z4ROOT which can be download off the net has an unroot option, see if that works.
 
Thanks for the advice on the program but unfortunately it didn't work. It stated it was complete but SuperUser still exists and Root Checker app says I'm still rooted as well. Any other suggestions?
 
No. The only safe way to unrooted is using an official ruu
And to verify, one does not exist for this phone correct? I've done a lot of research and can't find one but I've been known to overlook the obvious :P

EDIT: to add, it is not an OTA update; it's downloaded from HTCs website. I'm unsure if that matters or not, but I figured I'd throw it out there.
 
One more inquiry then. I do have access to the same model of phone that houses the stock ROM. Would there be any way for me to extract it from that phone and load it into mine? I know that's a far stretch but it doesn't hurt to ask o.O
 
Looking at the page linked in your other thread, the software download looks like an RUU, and the installation instructions that come with it are those for running an RUU. So my guess is that this is the long-awaited US Cellular RUU.

If so, as long as you have a USCC phone you should be able to just run the RUU, which will unroot and upgrade the software. It will also wipe your phone in the process though.

Edit: Ah, Eddy beat me to it - in this thread at least :)
 
The thing you can't do when rooted is accept an over the air update. But that's not what this is: this is the RUU that everyone has said doesn't exist for USCC, because it didn't until now :)
 
Great to know. I had an edit to one of my replies above asking if it even mattered since it wasn't OTA. I'm currently downloading the 2.2 now but it's taking hours unfortunately. Thanks for the reassurance...I was ready to just try anyway but better safe than sorry!
+Thanks
 
Yeah, even downloading the instructions (2 MB pdf) was very slow, so I hate to think how long the software itself takes!

This is good news - there have been a lot of people looking for a USCC RUU.
 
You also can't nandroid before rooting so it wouldn't make any difference. At least you now have an RUU to revert to if you ever wanna go stock
 
You also can't nandroid before rooting so it wouldn't make any difference. At least you now have an RUU to revert to if you ever wanna go stock
That would explain a lot and now that you say that it's a *derp* moment. It's been so long since I rooted that I didn't even think about that.
 
Yeah, even downloading the instructions (2 MB pdf) was very slow, so I hate to think how long the software itself takes!

This is good news - there have been a lot of people looking for a USCC RUU.

I've been downloading it for 2+ hours now. Customers and all the technicians across the company are currently trying to pull it down. Hopefully it will finish before I get off work! I'll be so happy to have the HTC Sense UI available again. The ROM I was running was pretty basic but it was worth the loss of Sense to be able to have more than just Angry Birds on my phone :eek:
 
It's funny how tastes differ - I stopped using the Sense launcher long before I rooted, never mind changed ROMs, and can't really imagine going back to Sense. But it's good to have the choices.
 
Back
Top Bottom