• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can root your phone remove stock apps and go back??

Hey guys

new to android

quick question can you root your phone to remove stock apps
like email app, gmail app, and other pointless gps crap i dont use??

if so, after removing these apps can i go back to stock without these dumb apps returning??

yeah, but why bother unrooting? Also the Gmail app is about the most important app on the phone. I think it has the account data, needed for market access.

yeah, but why bother unrooting? Also the Gmail app is about the most important app on the phone. I think it has the account data, needed for market access.

The Gmail app has nothing to do with the Market.

On a side note, the OP should be more detailed in what they're trying to accomplish. I'm a bit confused.

Greetings Milestonex,

While it is possible to do this, it may not be in your best interests. There are number of pre installed things that have to remain because some core functions are intertwined. Like gtalk, if it gets deleted, then the market doesn't work. The email app may be another one, i'm not sure. Also, if you remove some things, the OTA updates may cease to function on your phone.

I would suggest a few of options, your pick...

1. Go to the sub forum of your phone, and search for the apps that can safely be removed.

Motorola Milestone - Android Forums

2. Download titanium backup, and use the freeze function to stop the apps from running.

3. Get hold of a file explorer with root option, like Root Explorer or the like, and go into the system app folder and rename the offending app..I.E

crapapp.apk to crapapp.bak

This way the app won't run, but is still on your phone just incase you need to have access to it for whatever reason.

I would not start deleting things until you do one of the three.

Also, once your rooted, why bother going back. Just don't do anything else to your phone. Being rooted in itself doesn't harm your phone, its what you do to it once you have root access.

Just my 2 cents.

yes you can do as you asked...

but as stated by TMML... there are apps that are important to the function of your phone.

example: your SMS/texting app. that is the REAL work horse to do texting.. if you delete that.. NO texting will work. other texting apps are only top "visual" layer duties.. they still use the "orginal" SMS app to get the info. there are others apps like that too.

so only delete games and stuff you know is safe. game, entertainment...etc..

TIP: if you ROOT then you must have a Nandroid backup function added to your phone. DO a full Nandroid backup before you start changing things. This will insure that you can go back .. if you find that you just made a mistake!

Thanks for all the info guys :)

much appreciated, i will continue to do my research on this before making a decision

T.M.M.L : does my phone have to be rooted to use the titanium backup to freeze some apps or not?

Thanks for all the info guys :)

much appreciated, i will continue to do my research on this before making a decision

T.M.M.L : does my phone have to be rooted to use the titanium backup to freeze some apps or not?

I believe so, I have been rooted for so long i don't remember how things work without it.:D

I also agree with dan330, if your rooted and have a custom recovery like clockwork, then a nandroid backup is the best thing you can do for phone before tinkering with it.

yes, you need to be rooted to use TiBu to its fullest (ie. freeze apps). Just keep in mind, if you decide to remove an app, make a backup via TiBu so in case you need it back, you can restore it.

As already stated, do not blindly remove apps because you *think* you dont use it. The phone might require it and you'll start to get FC's.

I have a rooted OG Droid running Cyanogen 7. I want to root any phone I replace it with but I don't want to install custom mods. If I root a phone, will I still receivew stock OTA updates or will I have to unroot it to receive them. I want the rooted apps but I am through with messing with custom roms. They seem to cause more trouble than they are worth.

if you only have root .. but no custom ROMs / mods loaded...

you can take the OTA updates from your carrier.. but it will kill your ROOT!
and sometimes a new root might take a very long time to get again.

if you are ROOTED.. 99.88% of the time.. when an update is released..
it will be hacked and formated for ROOT users within 24 hrs. so just wait for the a good rooted version.

if you only have root .. but no custom ROMs / mods loaded...

you can take the OTA updates from your carrier.. but it will kill your ROOT!
and sometimes a new root might take a very long time to get again.

if you are ROOTED.. 99.88% of the time.. when an update is released..
it will be hacked and formated for ROOT users within 24 hrs. so just wait for the a good rooted version.

Thanks for your responce. That is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Hey guys

new to android

quick question can you root your phone to remove stock apps
like email app, gmail app, and other pointless gps crap i dont use??

if so, after removing these apps can i go back to stock without these dumb apps returning??

i use titanium back up(needs root) to remove the stock apps like readers hub, music hub, etc and you can backup them before uninstalling and you can reinstall them if you wish, that what i do on my galaxy tab :)

As already stated, do not blindly remove apps because you *think* you dont use it. The phone might require it and you'll start to get FC's.

Worse still, it might not even boot if you freeze an app the system thinks it needs on boot.

does freezing the apps like gps and what not free up space ??

Technically no, as the apk files are still on your handset. It will potentially free RAM though as they won't be running.

Before you start freezing apps, read up on what is safe for your particular handset (you seem to be going about things the right way anyway though).

does freezing the apps like gps and what not free up space ??

no because the apk still exists on your phone. this just prevents it from starting/running although i recently found an app that was still running even after I froze it. So now I just move the APK from \system\app folder to my sdcard just in case I need to put it back.

Back