• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can you retain root when upgrading?

It's unlikely that upgrading while rooted will brick you. It would just delete the SU apk.

Now if you've made major alterations to the system, that could be a different story.
I wanna try but it would suck to loose root. I wish I had a computer. I usually have 2, now zero! Anyway I clicked the icon in supersu I'm really debating weather or not to try the update.......

Upvote 0
I wanna try but it would suck to loose root. I wish I had a computer. I usually have 2, now zero! Anyway I clicked the icon in supersu I'm really debating weather or not to try the update.......

if you dont have a computer handy, i wouldnt do it. let someone volunteer who has the tools to fix it if something goes awry.

i wish we could get fakeflash working for cwmod recovery, that would be awesome. then who needs a computer lol.

Reactions: mjhealy1978
Upvote 0
I already had it checked.. The result is this: update fails to install, it re-downloads itself every other day... Without my permission. This has resulted in throttling just a few days into my plan.
Anyway, I've tried unchecking ota keep root, clearing cache, and installing... But it says "unexpected error found in system/app/books.apk"
I'm just going to do the v4 update with root once I get time to go use a friend's computer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones