• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot Use Keyboard with HD Dock

Hoping someone can help. My problem is I cannot use any keyboard in Webtop mode.

I have a Motorola MB855 Photon 4G with the Motorola HD Dock and a Motorola keyboard w/trackpad.

I can connect to the dock fine and open the Webtop application, shows up on my TV and looks dandy. Then I turn on Bluetooth and pair the keyboard (Motorola 89507 wireless keyboard with trackpad) with the phone. It requests a numeric code which I enter on the keyboard and hit enter- presto.

Now the screen on the phone changes to a clock and I can control the cursor through the trackpad on the keyboard. BUT no matter what I do the keyboard will not type letters. No keys on the keyboard appear to have any functionality.

At this point I undocked the phone, then the keyboard works fine!
Plug it back into the dock and -whoop- right back to no keyboard.
At this point I decided to try my Logitech mouse & keyboard. I plugged in a Logitech unifying receiver into the back of the HD Dock and the screen flashed- but nothing else.

I would prefer to use the Motorola Bluetooth keyboard/trackpad, but any suggestions on how to make anything work at this point would be appreciated.

Hoping someone can help. My problem is I cannot use any keyboard in Webtop mode.

I have a Motorola MB855 Photon 4G with the Motorola HD Dock and a Motorola keyboard w/trackpad.

I can connect to the dock fine and open the Webtop application, shows up on my TV and looks dandy. Then I turn on Bluetooth and pair the keyboard (Motorola 89507 wireless keyboard with trackpad) with the phone. It requests a numeric code which I enter on the keyboard and hit enter- presto.

Now the screen on the phone changes to a clock and I can control the cursor through the trackpad on the keyboard. BUT no matter what I do the keyboard will not type letters. No keys on the keyboard appear to have any functionality.

At this point I undocked the phone, then the keyboard works fine!
Plug it back into the dock and -whoop- right back to no keyboard.
At this point I decided to try my Logitech mouse & keyboard. I plugged in a Logitech unifying receiver into the back of the HD Dock and the screen flashed- but nothing else.

I would prefer to use the Motorola Bluetooth keyboard/trackpad, but any suggestions on how to make anything work at this point would be appreciated.

Did you check to see if there are any advanced settings (on the phone), once the bluetooth keyboard is paired, that need to be activated? Just trying to come up with possiblities, but don't really know because I've never paired an external keyboard with the HD dock.

Just doing a quick google search, I found this:
Setting up hardware
There's a note that says this:
Note: The webtop application supports 101-key "enhanced" and 104-key "Windows" standard keyboards. Some keys beyond these standards may not work.
But I don't know what that means exactly or how that would have an effect on the keyboard that you're using.

Upvote 0
Did you check to see if there are any advanced settings (on the phone)

Oh yeah.

I couldn't find anything on the regular phone settings that had any effect. There are settings specific to the Webtop app- but the little box to test the keyboard does nothing.

I saw that spiel about 101 and 104 keys but didn't think it would be relevant since it's an actual Motorola keyboard!

The really discouraging thing is I paired the keyboard with the phone last night while holding it in my hand. Then I plugged it into the HD Dock. When the chooser came up I actually used the arrow keys to choose Webtop. Boom... as soon as the Webtop app opens up the keyboard become an elaborate trackpad.

Very frustrating.

Upvote 0
Oh yeah.

I couldn't find anything on the regular phone settings that had any effect. There are settings specific to the Webtop app- but the little box to test the keyboard does nothing.

I saw that spiel about 101 and 104 keys but didn't think it would be relevant since it's an actual Motorola keyboard!

The really discouraging thing is I paired the keyboard with the phone last night while holding it in my hand. Then I plugged it into the HD Dock. When the chooser came up I actually used the arrow keys to choose Webtop. Boom... as soon as the Webtop app opens up the keyboard become an elaborate trackpad.

Very frustrating.

Damn, sorry that didn't help either. I really can't come up with any other possibilities in my head. I may try pairing the bluetooth keyboard I have at home w/ the phone, just to see if I have a similar experience or see if I can come up with a solution for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones