• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't find out what's using all my Internal memory

Sebastianc

Lurker
Dec 25, 2011
The precedent has 161MB of internal data for storage.

I recently hit the full mark of 161MB, and i have no clue how.

Here are the apps i have

Comes with phone, unable to move to SD:

Facebook 14.36MB
Maps 10.49MB
Market 6.41MB
Books 4.16MB
Gmail 3.35MB
Google search 1.27MB
Street View 600KB

40.64MB in unmovable, unfree data

Apps I've downloaded, and moved to the SD

Messenger 5.76MB(amount that you can't move to the SD)
Draw Free 3.92MB
JuiveDefender 1.53MB
Applanet Market 1.33MB
Google translate 852KB
PES2012 700KB
Barcode Scanner 616KB
App 2 SD Free 608KB
SyncMyPix 492KB
Prey 480KB(not moved to sd)
Battery Solo Widget 180KB(not moved to sd)
Advanced Task Killer Pro 164KB(not moved to sd)
Juice Defender Ultimate 12.0KB

16.644MB of Used space in downloaded apps

which would only total to 57.284MB in internal space taken by Apps.

I've deleted cache on all apps, and deleted all sms threads, and still can't find whats taking up all my data.

I'm running 2.2, and recently did the "pm SetInstallLocation 2" to supposedly set the default location of installs to be on the SD card, but when i try installing an App, it tells me that there's not enough storage room on my phone, and gives me a button to manage and uninstall apps.

Although doing that allowed me to move some apps over to the SD card that i was unable to move before, such as Juice Defender.

But i still can't find out what's taking up all my space, as not too long ago, i had even more apps installed, mainly large games, like words with friends, and angry birds, that took up space.

After deleting the cache and messages, it dropped from 161MB used to about 158MB used. but then about 5 minutes later it was back at 161MB used, what could be causing this??

Iam not sure whats causing that, but have you tried doing a factory reset?

If you know your MSL You can use ##rtn# -> reset ->enter msl to do a real factory reset (I have not tested this wile using AreaRom and Dont know if you will have to flash it again) but that will erase everything.

Flash over to Greenbread 2.3. Apps2sd should take care of some of it. If it won't move, there isn't much you can do about it. These Precedents are severly limited on internal memory.

Upvote 0
If it won't move, there isn't much you can do about it. These Precedents are severly limited on internal memory.

The way I overcame this problem was to install Titanium Backup on my rooted phone. I then Uninstalled a lot of the software I still needed that the phone comes pre-installed with (Google Maps and Google Search for instance). I then re-installed them through the Market, then moved them to the SD Card with link2SD.

Titanium Backup > Backup/Restore > (Select App) > Un-install.

Facebook I just threw out and replaced with Friendcaster.

Unless it's needed at boot (GOLauncher, Minimal Text, Lookout etc) or just doesn't work on the SD Card (Market, Youtube), it's almost all on my SD Card. If you use widgets they break when moved to the SD Card so they'll need to stay too.

I use link2SD instead of App2SD as it seems to move a lot more of the extra data along with the APP itself, giving me more room on the phone. It's better for cleaning the caches as well (in my opinion).

Naturally, needs a rooted phone and a cautious approach as some things just shouldn't be uninstalled. ;)

*Edit*: My App List...

AddFree, Ambling Book Player, AndChat, Angry Birds, Angry Ninja, ******** Market, BaconReader, Battery Indicator Pro, Buka, Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Cheese Tower, Clock, Contacts, DailyComix Free, Dolphin Browser HD, Dropbox, Explosm, Farm Challenge, File Manager, Fireball, Friendcaster Pro, Gallery, Gem Miner, Go Launcher EX, Go Store, Go Widget, Hybrid Stopwatch, Grocery Smart, IMDB, Kaiten Mail, Latitude, Link2SD, Lookout, Maps, Market, Messaging, Minimal Text, Navigation, Open Garden, Pandora, PDANet, Phone, Places, Podkicker, SetDNS, Settings, Squibble Free, Superuser, Swiftkey X, Take Photo, Tapatalk, Taptu, Task Manager, Theme Settings, They Need To Be Fed, Tiki Towers, Tiny Bee, Tiny SHark, Titanium Backup, Totemo, Twicca, Voice Dialer, Voice Search, Wallbase, Wifi Finder, Wikipedia, Wixel Lite, Word Search, World Newspapers, Youtube, Album Art Grabber, Zedge.

Internal Storage:
Total: 161MB Used: 119MB Free 42.66MB
SD Card:
Total 6.30GB Used 3.55GB Free 2.75GB
SD Card 2nd Part:
Total 0.97GB Used: 6.98MB Free 0.97GB

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones