• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't get something downloaded? read this

DeadDude

Android Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2014
In an attempt to answer questions about connections and files and downloads... I am posting these tips:

Unless you are on WiFi, you may get throttled for over use of your data.

If you modify certain files on your handset (newbie just rooted?), you can disrupt download ability.

If your app store won't work correctly, clear the app store cache in settings.

Never download an app from outside the official app store(s). Who knows what the app really does??

Don't try to steal a service. Hotspot, Pandora, etc. Eventually it will catch up to you one way or another.

Use a high quality SD card for downloading and media. Faster SD write speed = fewer bottlenecks.

Try to keep 25% free on internal at a minimum. In my flawed experience, handsets run faster when more internal storage is available (correct me if I'm wrong- and teach me the right way)

If you are still having issues (and they are completely legitimate issues), ask.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT HERE TO HELP YOU BREAK ANY LAWS OR BE BOTHERSOME ON A NETWORK. QUITE THE OPPOSITE. I WILL NOT TOLERATE ILLEGAL ACTIVITY DISCUSSION OF ANY SORT.

BUT...

If you have a legitimate problem getting an app to connect to a file, I may be able to help.

Example of legitimate issue:
All my Play apps work. PlayStore can update my apps, but won't let me download a NEW app. Why?

Answer:
out of storage?
Network issue (try again later)?
You re-used your SD from your old phone and didn't format it first?

Example: On WiFi, full bars, no internet?!

Answer:
Bad WiFi?
------change the WiFi channel?
------reboot router?

NOT TO BE DISCUSSED:
a torrent won't connect.
My snapchat hack isn't saving correctly.
My Pandora skipper isn't working.
I use a hacked radio app and got banned. The non-hacked app won't work either!

Reactions: Tyler Derden
Hey I have a problem with my Metro PCS - ZTE Zmax. For some reason every time I download an app or apk it lets me go to install and once clicked, brings up a dialog box say in unable to download because of insufficient space. But I have plenty of internal and external space. Tried a few things but still not working. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0
I got it to download again, but still can't get it to download to my ext sd card :-(

I've posted my storage also for you. Thanks is for all your help

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-26-07-02-04.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-26-07-02-04.png
    258 KB · Views: 397
  • Screenshot_2015-09-26-07-02-09.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-26-07-02-09.png
    255.3 KB · Views: 609
Upvote 0
Read this whole post before responding or doing any of the steps

to clarify:

downloading to sd means you are downloading a file from the internet into your sd.

installing to sd... well... no.

Sooooo.....
your problem is you have a legal apk that refuses to install, with a message stating not enough space.

your storage tab shows nearly zero usage of your sd card, but still over 2gigs free on internal.

Correct so far?

my first recommendation would be to post the xposed modules and rom you are using.

Xposed tends to break shit when you go crazy using it (some modules out right interfere with each other and can break the OS)

this is why so many people are anti xposed. can't troubleshoot without device in my own hands.

If you want to try something right away to get that apk installed:

I would suggest unloading xposed (deactivate it) and trying the install again. an easy way to deactivate xposed for a single boot is to reboot your phone and repeatedly press volume up- don't hold it down, press it rapidly in and out. your phone should vibrate to confirm xposed was temporarily bypassed. On next reboot, just reboot like normal and xposed will be reactivated.

Upvote 0
also, as far as downloading files to the real sd card...

check if your sd has the standard android folders on it. you cannot create the folders, android itself has to. permissions across apps block most sd folders. that's why I use link2sd. there's posts about it specifically- search this forum.

Upvote 0
Some real vague hints:

if the playstore downloaded it but wont install it,
clear playstore cache
try again
clear cache, reboot, try again

if its from the internet: bad file? fake file? virus? wrong OS?

if its a zooper or klwp or uccw or similar file, PM me a link and I'll help directly.

if its clearly warez, I will tell you and that's the end of that.

I will not pass judgement on you for PMing me illegal shit. I will simply tell you I cant help.

If you *persist*, I will report you.

everyone gets ONE. it's a freebie. we were all dumb at some point, until taught better.

I'm here to help the truly ignorant get schooled instead of banned.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones