• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't receive call and identify caller.

SebaKL

Android Enthusiast
Hi there

Friend of mine just migrated from ifon to Nexus. She got poisoned after playing around with Galaxy S2.

The phone is great and all, but there are some strange things happening that are very new to me.

When the phone is in use, like typing SMS or checking calendar, will not inform about incoming calls. Only when the phone is left alone, will ring.

Secondly, the phone won't recognize a caller ID, even tho the numbers are in the address book.
When I look at the number in the contacts, it's shown as +60 - 16 288 8888
so I figured, the space - formatting caused the problem.
But when I go to EDIT to remove the spacing, it appear as the number is one long string +60162888888, and the above formatting is just something that Nexus does.
I tried to change it to 016288888 without the country code but it makes no difference. No matter who calls, it won't recognize the number.
Quite annoying.

Any suggestions, much appreciated

best regards

Sebastian

if she's not receiving calls thats a problem....

as for the country code and caller ID, I've seen reports of this issue before from International users. I think the problem appears when the incoming caller ID info doesn't match the stored info. Basically, some carriers push the leading + and 0 and others don't. So if your address book # doesn't match the format the carrier's ID string, the phone doesn't recognize it. Apparently its been an issue for years with Android and they haven't fixed it. Should be as simple as some software logic that ignores the leading characters or something to that effect.

See my quoted post below from another thread for more info.

I see, so its something to do with contacts whose numbers begin with a +.

Seems like there are a lot of people experiencing problems with this and have been for years. It appears that there are some issues with the way android is handling international numbers and possibly the way certain carriers are passing caller ID info. From what I've read, sometimes the numbers have the + prefix, sometimes not, and sometimes no prefix. This appears to cause difficulty with callerID and name recognition on SMS messages. There are a couple of suggestions in the following pages, but I can't offer you any help as I'm a sheltered american who knows not how all these prefixes work! The only thought I have is to try putting both formats in for each contact. That way, no matter whether the number comes in with or without the prefix, your phone will recognize it. The downside may be that you have to choose which number to call each time. Again, I can't say for sure as I don't ever deal with international calling.

Issue 23092 - android - Incoming phone number not assigned to its name in the contact list - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Issue 4134 - android - Android 1.6 update issue - Contact Names do not show up on incoming calls - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Issue 23219 - android - 4.0.3 call log show number - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Issue 10955 - android - Issue with international phone numbers. - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

"Starring" an issue is the equivalent of voting it up as a problem. The more stars the more likely google will notice a problem. Just FYI.

Good luck.

Thanks for the links, I will go through and read.

Appreciate the prompt follow up.

Cheers

Sebastian

Oh, and if you end up having to put in phone numbers both with and without the +, you can open each contact on the phone and long press a number and choose set as default - so you don't have to choose which number to dial every time.

Back
Top Bottom