• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Captivate Free at WalMart

Just got of the phone with a CSR from Wal-mart Wireless. They couldn't give me the $229 price but they offered to give me a $100 discount from the $499 price plus a free car charger and free overnight shipping. I figured some AT&T stores wont ever sell me the phone unless I add a data plan to my line so I took the offer. At the moment, I basically have a voice line and use a JB iphone now.

I ignored the "needs customer attention" on their web site and also ignored the "Please contact us regarding your order" email I received this morning, and this afternoon I received an e-mail notice of their pricing error and the offer of a $100 discount bringing the no contract price to $399 ... :cool:

Upvote 0
Yep, I also got the e-mail canceling my order and offering me 100 dollars off. Not sure if I should take it or not. On one hand, I already have my captivate (which I paid 200 dollars and extended my contract for). On the other hand, I probably would have just bought the phone outright if AT&T at 350... and this is only 50 dollars more. But that 350 was really pushing the limits on what I'd generally be willing to spend on a phone.

Hmmm.

Upvote 0
Yep, I also got the e-mail canceling my order and offering me 100 dollars off. Not sure if I should take it or not. On one hand, I already have my captivate (which I paid 200 dollars and extended my contract for). On the other hand, I probably would have just bought the phone outright if AT&T at 350... and this is only 50 dollars more. But that 350 was really pushing the limits on what I'd generally be willing to spend on a phone.

Hmmm.

sounds like no one got that price, haha. at least they offered you something. i didnt get anything. im still waiting on them to put my money back in my account....ugh

Upvote 0

Hmmm.

I got same email too.

Dear,

Thank you for your recent order with LetsTalk.com. Unfortunately we briefly experienced some technical difficulty with our website on Sunday, July 18th which affected your order. During that time, the Samsung Captivate was incorrectly posted with a "No contract" price of $229.99. The correct price is $499.99. Regrettably, LetsTalk.com cannot honor the incorrect price.

We apologize for this error and any inconvenience it has caused you. We truly value you as a LetsTalk.com customer. As a token of our appreciation and apology, if you are an existing AT&T customer we are offering you a $100 discount on the Samsung Captivate and are willing to sell you the phone for $399.99. We will keep your order open until July 22nd. If you choose to purchase the phone at the $399.99 price, please contact us and authorize the charge. If you decline the offer or fail to contact us by July 22nd we will cancel your order. In any event, we will not charge your credit card or ship you a phone without your authorization. Please call us at 1-866-825-7292.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
LetsTalk.com

Upvote 0
Okay guys.. after all this confusion and debacle of getting the Samsung Captivate, I decided to go ahead and order the phone for $399.* This way, I get to have a Android phone and also keep my Iphone 4.* I just think of it as getting a real nice small android tablet for $399 (vs $499 or $639 w/ 3g for Ipad).* If you think of it this way, $399 for a device with all these features don't sound that bad at all. I could always sell my Iphone 4 for $600 or more to break even as well.
Anyway, look at the ordeal I went through to get this phone:
1) On the day it came out on July 18, went to several AT&T to find it for $349 but no luck. They wouldn't sell it to me at that price. (By the way $349 plus tax at 8% is about $376.92 which is very close to $399 since I didn't have to pay tax with Letstalk.com)
2) Then I ran into this site which show that letstalk had this for $229 with no contract and I was like hell yeah! and ordered it ASAP to find out it was a price mistake and they weren't going to honor it.* Fought with them long and hard but didn't work. I was on the phone with them including holding time about 3 to 4 hours which I wasted my entire day on Monday.
3) Then after that I decided to return my Iphone 4 for this so that I could get the captivate for free through letstalk.com since $229 deal would not go through*but as soon as I was about to do this, the price went up to $99. I would also had to upgrade my family plan from 550 to 700 and also give up my unlimited data as well.
4) Then I was like you know what, I would just straight up trade my Iphone 4 for the captivate at the AT&T store since they are the same price and I was still under 30 day return policy for the Iphone 4.* I was at the store*and about to do this until I realize that you know what? Iphone 4 is worth more.... if captivate was $99 then maybe but I couldn't do it.
5) Then I was thinking of going with the Amazon option of getting it for $164.99 upgrade price which still required me to return my Iphone 4 but I get to keep my voice plan the same.. not sure about my data plan though since there is no option to keep unlimited.* But hassle of doing this and being without a phone for couple days... I decided not to go this route.
Finally... I get an email from letstalk about the $100 discount and you know what... after all being said (wasting pretty much 2 days), I think this is the best option and I will have my captivate tomorrow!
Ckyllr

Upvote 0
I thought I would let people know that my BestBuy in Orlando honored the price match. I got the Captivate for $99 when I showed them a print of Walmarts $99 price. Here is my receipt to prove it.

How exactly did you get them to honor it? The two best buys near me said they wouldn't.

Edit: Your really lucky, I called your Best Buy and they told me they'd match it. Too bad I don't live in Orlando.

Upvote 0
Okay guys.. after all this confusion and debacle of getting the Samsung Captivate, I decided to go ahead and order the phone for $399.* This way, I get to have a Android phone and also keep my Iphone 4.* I just think of it as getting a real nice small android tablet for $399 (vs $499 or $639 w/ 3g for Ipad).* If you think of it this way, $399 for a device with all these features don't sound that bad at all. I could always sell my Iphone 4 for $600 or more to break even as well.
Anyway, look at the ordeal I went through to get this phone:
1) On the day it came out on July 18, went to several AT&T to find it for $349 but no luck. They wouldn't sell it to me at that price. (By the way $349 plus tax at 8% is about $376.92 which is very close to $399 since I didn't have to pay tax with Letstalk.com)
2) Then I ran into this site which show that letstalk had this for $229 with no contract and I was like hell yeah! and ordered it ASAP to find out it was a price mistake and they weren't going to honor it.* Fought with them long and hard but didn't work. I was on the phone with them including holding time about 3 to 4 hours which I wasted my entire day on Monday.
3) Then after that I decided to return my Iphone 4 for this so that I could get the captivate for free through letstalk.com since $229 deal would not go through*but as soon as I was about to do this, the price went up to $99. I would also had to upgrade my family plan from 550 to 700 and also give up my unlimited data as well.
4) Then I was like you know what, I would just straight up trade my Iphone 4 for the captivate at the AT&T store since they are the same price and I was still under 30 day return policy for the Iphone 4.* I was at the store*and about to do this until I realize that you know what? Iphone 4 is worth more.... if captivate was $99 then maybe but I couldn't do it.
5) Then I was thinking of going with the Amazon option of getting it for $164.99 upgrade price which still required me to return my Iphone 4 but I get to keep my voice plan the same.. not sure about my data plan though since there is no option to keep unlimited.* But hassle of doing this and being without a phone for couple days... I decided not to go this route.
Finally... I get an email from letstalk about the $100 discount and you know what... after all being said (wasting pretty much 2 days), I think this is the best option and I will have my captivate tomorrow!
Ckyllr

I wish I was given that option, but you can't win them all. Still trying to get it for $229 from Best Buy or $350 at AT&T once LetsTalk gives me my dang money back...

Congrats on the phone though.

Upvote 0
I called LetsTalk today and they said the $399 offer will be available to the end of the business day today(Wednesday) for anyone that had their $229 order cancelled.

Hmm...that may be the winner. Did they say how long they had to place that order? How soon it would ship out? I haven't gotten any email about that, and I had to cancel my order because of their "glitch"

Upvote 0
I got the deal at the Waterford Lakes BestBuy on the east side of Orlando.

As for how I did it I just printed out the walmart site with the price of $99.99. Here is the link: AT&T Cell Phones

I called my Bestbuy and they said they would match the price, but I when went there later a woman told me she couldn't do anything because it was a letstalk.com discount and she didn't know what that was.

Maybe they wouldn't have known if I printed that link which doesn't mention the discount is from letstalk.com.

Upvote 0
i am so happy i had to register and tell about calling ATT and since i was a long time customer of theirs and that i want the captivate but didn t want to pay $199 since walmart was offering it for $99, after about 10 mins of hold time they price matched walmart and i should have the phone in 3-5 days( could not gripe about no priority shipping at that price).

:D:)

Upvote 0
I called my Bestbuy and they said they would match the price, but I when went there later a woman told me she couldn't do anything because it was a letstalk.com discount and she didn't know what that was.

Maybe they wouldn't have known if I printed that link which doesn't mention the discount is from letstalk.com.

I'am going to print it out with out the link to see if it works

Upvote 0
i am so happy i had to register and tell about calling ATT and since i was a long time customer of theirs and that i want the captivate but didn t want to pay $199 since walmart was offering it for $99, after about 10 mins of hold time they price matched walmart and i should have the phone in 3-5 days( could not gripe about no priority shipping at that price).

:D:)

Is it new contract price, upgrade price or off contract price?

Upvote 0

Go back another day when a different manager is on. Yah and print the one without the letstalk on it. Good Luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones