• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Carrier name in notification

Prime85

Android Expert
Does anyone know a program to view/edit an XML file within framework-res.apk. if I can edit the file I can change the carrier name.

This may help you, I dont know if the Esteem will have tho

On the Ascend there was a file in the Data folder called eri.xml and you could change the carriers name inside that xml. When you changed it in there it displayed it on the lock screen, the status bar and changed the carriers name in the about phone section. I made it all read MetroPieceOfShit.

This may help you, I dont know if the Esteem will have tho

On the Ascend there was a file in the Data folder called eri.xml and you could change the carriers name inside that xml. When you changed it in there it displayed it on the lock screen, the status bar and changed the carriers name in the about phone section. I made it all read MetroPieceOfShit.

Its in
System/framework/framework-res.apk/res/xml/eri.xml

There is one way that works on some apk's, dont know if I'd try it on that one tho, in root explorer if you add .zip to the end of it, it will turn the apk into a zip file and if you long press and extract the file it will put everything in an extraction folder and it will put all the images and files in that folder and you can edit them and such or put them on your computer and do some "themeing" Some it does not work on. Doing it on that particular apk Im not to sure I'd try.

Be VERY careful modifying that file. If I remember right there was a whole process to re-signing the apk after putting it all back together again, and being an important one for booting up, I don't recommend changing it until we can make a nandroid backup.

There's a whole app out there on the market designed to re-package changes to the framework back together properly. I'll look for the name.

Be VERY careful modifying that file. If I remember right there was a whole process to re-signing the apk after putting it all back together again, and being an important one for booting up, I don't recommend changing it until we can make a nandroid backup.

There's a whole app out there on the market designed to re-package changes to the framework back together properly. I'll look for the name.

on my ascend mines said, Metro POS, lol well i did tell the truth about the lil' bugger. :rolleyes:

lol... my friend brought his ascend over today. Looks like a little box of raisins next to the esteem :D

Back
Top Bottom