• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Bricked my Evo 3D CDMA Sprint. Need help.

zapjb

First off thanks for looking & any help is appreciated. Second I searched & got some results.

Nothing was quite what I have going on. Mea culpa this was all my fault. I read read read & couldn't sort it out &
I went ahead anyways. Now things are starting to make sense to me. But I bricked it already. I think it is soft
bricked but I was so stupid & hasty I might have hard bricked.

I went here at AF, XDA, Google & willy nilly everywhere. The only thing I did right was unlocking the bootloader
at HTCdev. This is so stupid & flailing away, I can't recount all the things I did.

I have hboot 1.58.0000, S-ON, ICS 4.03, no root, no nandroid & no .img on sdcard. As far as I can relate what I
did, I was just flailing away. I flashed recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-shooter.img without rooting first. I don't
think I was successful next at installing or maybe flashing RootingSuperuser.v.3.0.7.zip. I just threw files &
flashes at my poor defenseless Evo 3D without understanding. Involved also were files such as fastboot.exe, a
lot of CMD prompts entering commands after commands.

So I'm at the HTC white for a minute or so. Then it turns off & then after approx 30 seconds it turns back on &
repeats over & over. I can get into FASTBOOT. But going into the next option BOOTLOADER throws it into
bootlooping.

So my Evo 3D was innocent & through my ignorance I killed it! Please can it be saved? Will you help this soul
who was frustrated, confused & foolishly proceeded?

Thank you AF.

Breathe!!! It's okay, I don't think you're hard bricked. Also, don't use CWM with this phone, it's been known to cause issues. 4ext recovery is the best for this one.

Your best bet is probably to use the RUU to get everything back to stock and fully functional.

Download this: https://copy.com/O1YxyEgaJrnJl4gG

Do a battery pull. Boot into your bootloader (volume down + power). Select fastboot. Plug the phone into the pc. Should see FASTBOOT USB in red letters. Run the RUU.

This should get you to an out of the box state.

So let's start there... Get your phone functional again and then we can worry about rooting and get you where you want to be.

Let me know if the RUU returns an error. We may have to perform a few additional steps to get the RUU to take.

I get ERROR [155]: UNKNOWN ERROR

The ROM Update Utility cannot update your Android phone.

Please get the correct ROM Update Utility and try again.

I believe I have version 2.95.651.5. And this RUU is version 2.89.651.2. Could this be a problem?

I get ERROR [155]: UNKNOWN ERROR

The ROM Update Utility cannot update your Android phone.

Please get the correct ROM Update Utility and try again.

I believe I have version 2.95.651.5. And this RUU is version 2.89.651.2. Could this be a problem?

Yes that is a problem. Sort of.

Do you have custom recovery on the phone? If so flash this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xq47p3syzuz5en/SetMainVersionLOW.zip

That will lower your main version and allow you to run the RUU.

If you don't have a custom recovery, install 4ext recovery: https://www.dropbox.com/s/smdbibra6q6salh/4ext_1.0.0.5.rc9_recovery.img

Then flash the above zip file.

Also, I forgot to mention the bootloader has to be relocked as well.

fastboot oem lock

Thanks to you I'm up & running. :cheers:

Now what about root? Can you point me the right way. And is it important to have S-OFF or can I just use Voodoo's OTA RootKeeper?

Thanks again Brian706 a million times!

Wooo! Glad you're up and running again. :)

S-off is not required but gives you a lot more freedom. Ultimately it depends on what you want to do if you need S-off or not.

I've not heard of voodoo OTA root keeper.

If you want to use any ICS based rom you will be fine S-ON.

I would highly suggest visiting the 4ext recovery website and downloading the free recovery installer.

If you are S-ON, 4ext has a feature called smart flash that will allow you to more easily flash roms without any additional steps.

If you want to try jellybean roms S-off is a requirement because you need to downgrade the hboot.

Just to make sure you know, now that you ran the RUU, you are completely stock. You will need to unlock the bootloader again and then flash recovery.

From there you can flash supersu or a rom.

I would suggest getting 4ext from their website as opposed to the one I posted earlier since you are S-ON.

When you use their app, it will ask you upon setup if you are S-ON. Saying yes enables smart flash. If you use the one I linked, you'd have to manually enable smart flash every time. If you use their app, it will be setup properly for you.

If I missed anything let me know. I'm mobile so it's hard to keep my thoughts together on long replies. :)

Let's see if I got this.

1. Unlock Bootloader
2. Flash 4ext recovery

Now I'm confused again.

At 4EXT Development I see:
4EXT Recovery Updater & 4EXT Recovery Control.
Which is the recovery installer you mention? Or is there another?

Next: "From there you can flash supersu or a rom."
Is supersu Super User? Any special version I should use?
And don't I have to have Root to flash a ROM?

Thanks.

Let's see if I got this.

1. Unlock Bootloader
2. Flash 4ext recovery

Yes.

Now I'm confused again.

At 4EXT Development I see:
4EXT Recovery Updater & 4EXT Recovery Control.
Which is the recovery installer you mention? Or is there another?

4ext recovery updater is the free version. The other is paid and offers some advanced features that can be useful but are not necessary.

Next: "From there you can flash supersu or a rom."
Is supersu Super User? Any special version I should use?
And don't I have to have Root to flash a ROM?

supersu and superuser are the main two players but both offer the same sort of deal. Supersu is a little easier to install because they offer a recovery flashable zip: http://download.chainfire.eu/368/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.75.zip
Thanks.

Rooting to flash a rom is where things can be a little confusing. I'll try to keep it as straight forward as possible. ;)

Rooting is just adding root permission/super user access to your device.

A custom rom is optional but is also rooted.

There are two ways to root. You are stock right now. Adding super user or supersu will root your device. Basically that is adding root to the stock rom. When you install a stock rom it's basically the same thing. It's the stock rom with root already added. So flashing supersu would essentially give you the same thing. Usually the rom will include busybox as well which can be downloaded from the play store.

A custom rom will also be rooted and most include supersu but some include super user. Really same difference. They do the same. The custom ROM will have extra features and tweaks/enhancements.

So basically you can root by flashing a rom or literally just rooting the stock rom yourself. It's totally up to you. If you want to be completely stock with root permissions, flash supersu, if you want to try a specific rom, flash that.

First off thanks for looking & any help is appreciated. Second I searched & got some results.

Nothing was quite what I have going on. Mea culpa this was all my fault. I read read read & couldn't sort it out &
I went ahead anyways. Now things are starting to make sense to me. But I bricked it already. I think it is soft
bricked but I was so stupid & hasty I might have hard bricked.

I went here at AF, XDA, Google & willy nilly everywhere. The only thing I did right was unlocking the bootloader
at HTCdev. This is so stupid & flailing away, I can't recount all the things I did.

I have hboot 1.58.0000, S-ON, ICS 4.03, no root, no nandroid & no .img on sdcard. As far as I can relate what I
did, I was just flailing away. I flashed recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-shooter.img without rooting first. I don't
think I was successful next at installing or maybe flashing RootingSuperuser.v.3.0.7.zip. I just threw files &
flashes at my poor defenseless Evo 3D without understanding. Involved also were files such as fastboot.exe, a
lot of CMD prompts entering commands after commands.

So I'm at the HTC white for a minute or so. Then it turns off & then after approx 30 seconds it turns back on &
repeats over & over. I can get into FASTBOOT. But going into the next option BOOTLOADER throws it into
bootlooping.

So my Evo 3D was innocent & through my ignorance I killed it! Please can it be saved? Will you help this soul
who was frustrated, confused & foolishly proceeded?

Thank you AF.

i did the same thing as him ^^^^^^^ and need help getting my phone running virgin mobile htc evo 3d every i run a ruu it says error 131 i have twrp recovery and relocked

i did the same thing as him ^^^^^^^ and need help getting my phone running virgin mobile htc evo 3d every i run a ruu it says error 131 i have twrp recovery and relocked

Are you using the correct RUU? The virgin mobile one and not a sprint one?

Also are you s-on or off? What hboot are you on? 1.57 or 1.58?

I need the answer to these questions to determine whether or not you can even run the RUU on your setup.

Edit: here is a link to the one available virgin mobile RUU: https://copy.com/DlY7d

Just want to be sure you have the correct one.

I ran SRSroot to the point where I only have icons in notification bar, rest of the screen is black and can't do anything on the phone. I have tried to flash 4ext but always get Signature fail. I read my next step should be Setmainverlow.zip, but I can't flash that by renaming it PG86IMG.ZIP. Htc Unlock wont work without hboot downgrade, which won't work without custom recovery. I don't know where to go from here. I have successfully rooted a samsung and an LG in the past, this is my first HTC (and probably the last I will buy because of the whole s-off thing, which I also can't do because of the HTC Unlock). SRS says I am rooted as does another program, but can't do anything with it. I hope this is the right thread, thank you to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Is this the right order to get unlocked, s-off, custom Rom?

1) Downgrade Hboot to allow Unlock

2) HtcDev Unlock to allow Wire Trick

3) Wire trick (control bear) to get S-off

4) Install 4ext (signature failure problem??)

5)Select Rom/Hboot combination

6) Flash appropriate Hboot

7) FLash ROM that will work with HBoot

Somewhere I have to Setmainverlow???

Is this the right order to get unlocked, s-off, custom Rom?

1) Downgrade Hboot to allow Unlock

No need to downgrade to unlock bootloader. Bootloader can be unlocked and S-off can be achieved on 1.58

2) HtcDev Unlock to allow Wire Trick

3) Wire trick (control bear) to get S-off

4) Install 4ext (signature failure problem??)

5)Select Rom/Hboot combination

6) Flash appropriate Hboot

7) FLash ROM that will work with HBoot

Somewhere I have to Setmainverlow???

All correct except step one isn't needed. And the set main version low zip isn't needed except for RUU when you're s-on on the latest update and need to run the RUU.

If possible you may want to run the RUU. It's hard to know the exact state of the phone.

But if you are on the latest OTA (main version 2.95) you'd need to lower main version.

I'm not familiar with srs root, but when rooting the traditional way, bootloader needs to be unlocked to flash a custom recovery.

I ran SRSroot to the point where I only have icons in notification bar, rest of the screen is black and can't do anything on the phone. I have tried to flash 4ext but always get Signature fail. I read my next step should be Setmainverlow.zip, but I can't flash that by renaming it PG86IMG.ZIP. Htc Unlock wont work without hboot downgrade, which won't work without custom recovery. I don't know where to go from here. I have successfully rooted a samsung and an LG in the past, this is my first HTC (and probably the last I will buy because of the whole s-off thing, which I also can't do because of the HTC Unlock). SRS says I am rooted as does another program, but can't do anything with it. I hope this is the right thread, thank you to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

What prollem did you have with htcdev? The hboot downgrade is dangerous,and could result in a bricked device,so should really only be considered as an extreme last resort by someone with a fair amount of experience.

If you do need to follow the same steps,you'll need to lower the main version manually,not via the zip file. Look back thru the thread for those directions.

Regarding your other directions,if you downgrade hboot,you're doing so to a version that will allow you to run revolutionary,so no need for unlock or wire trick. Seems there is some confusion about this process,and the need for it. You should not need to downgrade to unlock. If you're having unlock issue,we should work on figuring that out first before you attempt a danderous downgrade.

Yes that is a problem. Sort of.

Do you have custom recovery on the phone? If so flash this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xq47p3syzuz5en/SetMainVersionLOW.zip

That will lower your main version and allow you to run the RUU.

If you don't have a custom recovery, install 4ext recovery: https://www.dropbox.com/s/smdbibra6q6salh/4ext_1.0.0.5.rc9_recovery.img

Then flash the above zip file.

Also, I forgot to mention the bootloader has to be relocked as well.

fastboot oem lock

i have the same problem. but how do i flash both images ? via fastboot ? can you show me the cmd ? since everytime i go into bootloader -> recovery/F.reset it keeps rebooting.

i have the same problem. but how do i flash both images ? via fastboot ? can you show me the cmd ? since everytime i go into bootloader -> recovery/F.reset it keeps rebooting.
Can you run a fastboot getvar all
and paste the results here? Also can you post the information on your bootloader screen?

Can you run a fastboot getvar all
and paste the results here? Also can you post the information on your bootloader screen?

C:\boot>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.58.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.09.00.0108
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 2.95.651.5
(bootloader) serialno: HTxxxxxxxxxx
(bootloader) imei: [removed]
(bootloader) product: shooter
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8260
(bootloader) modelid: PG8610000
(bootloader) cidnum: SPCS_001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3800mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-3f645641
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.019s

RELOCKED
SHOOTER XC SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.58.0000
RADIO-1.09.00.0100
OPENADSP-V02.6.0.2226.00.0217
eMMC-boot
May 17 2012, 15:06:44

Which recovery are you using? Also are/were you using a custom rom? If so which one or which one are you wanting to use?

Because you are s-on the boot.img isn't flashing properly.

Choose a rom that's compatible with your setup. An ice cream sandwich based rom. Put the rom.zip on your sd card.

Place your recovery.img in the fastboot directory on your pc.

Use this command: fastboot boot recovery.img
(either rename your recovery to recovery.img or type the name exactly as is instead)

From recovery flash your rom and you should be good. If you want to return to stock we can also do that instead.

Which recovery are you using? Also are/were you using a custom rom? If so which one or which one are you wanting to use?

Because you are s-on the boot.img isn't flashing properly.

Choose a rom that's compatible with your setup. An ice cream sandwich based rom. Put the rom.zip on your sd card.

Place your recovery.img in the fastboot directory on your pc.

Use this command: fastboot boot recovery.img
(either rename your recovery to recovery.img or type the name exactly as is instead)

From recovery flash your rom and you should be good. If you want to return to stock we can also do that instead.

Sir, i've just done Ultimate Recovery Tool to revive my phone from this thread -> [TOOL] Ultimate Recovery Tool 3.1 (Unbrick,

Sorry for the late reply. I got a little tied up yesterday with some family stuff.

If an ruu successfully completes running and the phone won't boot, that's not a good sign. Usually indicative of a hardware failure. Perhaps one of the memory blocks is corrupt?

Also, I don't like this in your last getvar all: (bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-3f645641

I've never seen that before. Tried to see what it means and haven't found anything yet.

I'm going to pm my bud Scotty to take a look at this thread. He might know more about what that means. Also he's really knowledgeable with all HTC devices and will know if there's anything else that can be done.

i searched about commitno-bootloader and i found this : what is commitno-bootloader: dirty-64bedd38 | HTC One S | XDA Forums

by touch of jobo

It's kind of like an internal version number, but higher is not necessarily newer.

The commit number refers to the code repository that devs at HTC use. Every time a dev commits code to the repo, that commit gets a unique number.

Their build server checks out the repo and adds the latest commit number to some macro or header, so that products can report it.

A dirty build only recompiles the files that were modified and their dependencies. A clean build removes all object code and recompiles everything.

So the commitno is an identifier that HTC devs can use to go back in time and checkout the exact same code that your hboot was built from.
Ok Brian thx for your kindness, i thought you wouldn't reply my post assuming this thread is quite old

Well according to that information it doesn't sound like it's necessarily a bad thing. Still concerned about the phone not booting after an ruu though. :(

thanks for the info onthe bootloader code. ive seen that numerous times and knew it didnt mean something bad,but i did not know the specifics. interesting info :cool:

unfortunately,it doesnt sound like there is too much that can be done at this point. if the ruu flashed successfully with no errors,then there likely is some sort of hardware failure,as brian suggested. :(

Back
Top Bottom