• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Do I need to Unroot to do a factory reset?

houndstooth

Jun 20, 2011
About a year ago I rooted my Sprint 3VO using the stickied instructions by jerofld. I did it exclusively so I could use Barnacle. I never did anything else. No ROMs, No Mods, etc. Now I have a new phone (Note 2) and I'm giving away my 3VO, but I'd like to factory reset it before I do.

I've searched and some threads say it's fine to reset as is, it will just stay rooted. Other threads seem to suggest I need to unroot first? What's the path of least resistance?

Edit: I am giving the phone to someone who doesn't even use apps or the internet on the phone so root/unroot for them is meaningless.

Upvote 0
Your link was bad by the way ;)

Well, the simplest way would be to go here and download the RUU:
RUU_Shooter_ICS_35_S_Sprint_WWE_2.89.651.2_Radio_1.09.00.0706__NV_NV_SPCS_1.43_r elease_271101_signed.exe

If the phone is still s-on, relock the bootloader through fastboot, just like when you ran fastboot commands while rooting. The command is: fasboot oem lock

From here, run the RUU.exe and follow the on screen instruction. In about 5-10 minutes, the phone will be returned completely to stock again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones