• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] How to Root the HBoot 1.5 Method?

Th3Codster

Feb 27, 2012
I'm interested in rooting my Evo 3D. But I am really, really confused of what "rooting" is. I tried to understand of what it was, but the more I read, the more confused I got. I am new to it, and I need help to better understand of what it is. All I know is if I want to root my phone I have to do it the HBoot 1.5 method. Please, can you help better understand, and guide me through how to root the HBoot 1.5 method? Thank You:D

Ok, will I lose any of my pictures, apps, etc, when I root my phone?

You won't lose anything on your SD card, so pictures, files, and things of that nature will be un touched. But the rooting process with the HTC Dev unlock will wipe your device clean of any user-configured data. Like accounts, apps, etc.

Some people use a temporary root to install a backup app like Titanium Backup or MyBackup Pro and make backups of all their apps to their SD card before doing the HTC unlock.

Tools like Titanium Backup are mostly essential to people like me who flash new ROMs on a weekly basis :p Although I've been told that MyBackup Root/Pro is just as effective and slightly more user friendly.

Upvote 0
You should use caution when picking ROMs. Read what the ROM adds, if there are any known bugs, etc.

Make NANDroid backups (Called simply 'backup' in custom recoveries) often.

And make sure you flash kernels properly. The new 4EXT recovery and the TWRP Dumlock recoveries do this automatically. Older TWRP recoveries (2.0 and earlier) and all CWM recoveries do not do this automatically. 4EXT is highly recommended, but you'll have to use another recovery in order to install 4EXT for the first time (it's annoying...but once it's done, you're good).

And if you don't know what you're doing, don't overclock or undervolt.

Upvote 0
Overclocking (Called OC for short) is making the processor faster by increasing it's clock speed. The faster the clock, the faster the CPU processes information, and the more heat it generates and power it consumes.

Undervolting (UV) adjusts the voltage tables to the CPU. The less voltage applied to the CPU, the less power it consumes.

It is possible to balance the two to make it so that you have increased performance balanced with power drain to equal out in the positive. But it's not something I recommend for people who have no idea what they're doing. Usually people OC first, get the hang of that, then UV to balance out the power drain caused by it.

OC and UV both can cause system instability and permanent device damage if done improperly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones