• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Q's re: updating to new 2.17 firmware on hboot 1.4

died4u525

Ok I've been reading a lot about certain ROMs and I know that to get a ROM that is on the new OTA I need to use the RUU to get the latest firmware. However I do have some questions. I hope you guys don't mind. I have hboot 1.4 and I'm rooted using Revolutionary by the way.

To get the 2.17.651.5 firmware, I put the RUU on the root of my SD card and name it PG86IMG.zip and boot into the bootloader. Then it asks if I want to update and I choose yes. Is this correct?

Then I flash a ROM based on the 2.17 firmware immediately after, without even booting into Android.

Other than confirming that what I've written so far is correct, I also wanted to ask another question. Once I have the new firmware, are my old backups of my Stock rooted ROM & my current ROM no longer usable being that they are in the old firmware? And if that is the case, how would I get back to a Stock rooted ROM if I wanted to? And also is it possible to go back to my current ROM which is on the 2.08 firmware? I realize I'm asking a lot at once and I apologize for that.
TIA

Christina

You don't need to RUU, you can simply flash Freeza's AIO in Fastboot and you will be up to date, with the latest firmware and radio etc...

@DonB
Ok so I just flash zip from sd card in recovery to flash freeza's all in one? And then I stay in recovery and flash the ROM?

Thanks for your help!

You don't have to update the ROM if you don't want to. But it really is recommended to take advantage of the new firmware.

The RUU method is for HBOOT 1.5 users who can't flash the firmware directly. You should never need a RUU with HBOOT 1.4 S-OFF. And you would never use the most recent RUU.

I think people just have a misunderstanding of the ruu. And it boils down to how your instructed to do it. There's the ruu/pg86imgs that are extracted from the ruu. And the actual Rom Update Utility to run from pc. If your on hboot 1.4 you can use the pg86img's just make sure and extract the hboot from the zip before you flash or just get the one minus hboot or say freeza firmware only zip. However once your s-off flashing hboot 1.5 on accident you will still have s-off but with a locked bootloader. You can then HTC unlock and still fllash whatever you want. Or even roll back your bootloader( this is a failsafe I dont recomend flashing a new bootloader). Do not run RUU.exe if you are trying to update that will give you s-on and you will hate yourself for losing your beloved 1.4(trust me I've had both). The only thing ruu.exe is good for is if you get in a jamb and have to start from scratch in that case run the oldest version possible.

Jerfold I know you know the differnce this was just to help others who read.

Thanks so much for your help!

Another thing I'm wondering is, what's the easiest way for me to have a backup of my stock rooted ROM? Right now I have viperROM 2.1.1 and I haven't updated to 2.17.651.5 yet. I have a backup of my stock rooted ROM. Can I restore my backup of the stock rooted ROM and then flash the 2.17 update in bootloader, then boot into system and then make a new backup of the stock ROM? Will it run ok like that?
Then just flash a ROM that uses the new base? I want to try MeanROM (even though viperROM has been running great and stopped my random reboots).

@mteezey

Thank you for that clear explanation. In my first post I wrote "RUU" but I guess that wasn't actually what I meant. I had already downloaded freeza's all-in-one and that was what I meant but I wasn't specific and I was actually wrong altogether by referring to it as "RUU."

I've learned a lot so far but there is so much info out there and a lot of it is confusing or contradictory but I'm learning thanks to posts like yours that educate without talking down to those if us who are trying to learn.

LOL yeah that's another good question! I get what the difference is when custom ROMs are concerned but I don't understand how a Stock ROM could be deodexed. Not a big deal though because I think I'm gonna do it the way I said and just restore my stock rooted backup and then flash freeza's AIO and make a new Nandroid backup so I have it. Then I'm gonna try MeanROM because I need better battery life.

I truly appreciate all the help!

Simply put:

The odex version is the way you get it from HTC/Sprint.

The deodex version is a modified approach to allow more customization and optimizations.

Either one gives you the stock experience. And I bet most root users could load either one and not be able to tell the difference.

But Christina, loading your NANDroid, flashing the Freeza AIO, and then re backing up will not update the stock ROM. That will update your firmware only. In order to update the stock ROM, you would have to flash either the odex stock ROM or the deodexed stock ROM in the thread I linked to you. But I'll walk you through it. Download Freeza's AIO and the stock ROM Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.17.651.5_odex.zip (I think that should work for linking)

Then rename the freeza AIO to "pg86img.zip" and put it on your SD card. At the root of the SD card (meaning in no subfolders). Put the stock odex ROM there, too.

Reboot into the bootloader and accept the updated changes. Reboot.

When Android loads, rename or delete "pg86img.zip" from the root of your SD card.

Reboot into recovery.

Restore your stock ROM NANDroid

Wipe dalvik cache and cache partitions

Flash Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.17.651.5_odex.zip.

When it's done, reboot and wait the 5-7 minutes it takes to boot. When it's done, you should have the updated Stock ROM + new firmware. Reboot back into recovery and make a backup and flash any new updated ROM you want.

The only other way of doing this will cause you to lose HBOOT 1.4 and make your rooting life worse by a large degree. The way I just described is a much easier/faster way of doing it and gets you the same results.

Simply put:

The odex version is the way you get it from HTC/Sprint.

The deodex version is a modified approach to allow more customization and optimizations.

Either one gives you the stock experience. And I bet most root users could load either one and not be able to tell the difference.

But Christina, loading your NANDroid, flashing the Freeza AIO, and then re backing up will not update the stock ROM. That will update your firmware only. In order to update the stock ROM, you would have to flash either the odex stock ROM or the deodexed stock ROM in the thread I linked to you. But I'll walk you through it. Download Freeza's AIO and the stock ROM Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.17.651.5_odex.zip (I think that should work for linking)

Then rename the freeza AIO to "pg86img.zip" and put it on your SD card. At the root of the SD card (meaning in no subfolders). Put the stock odex ROM there, too.

Reboot into the bootloader and accept the updated changes. Reboot.

When Android loads, rename or delete "pg86img.zip" from the root of your SD card.

Reboot into recovery.

Restore your stock ROM NANDroid

Wipe dalvik cache and cache partitions

Flash Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.17.651.5_odex.zip.

When it's done, reboot and wait the 5-7 minutes it takes to boot. When it's done, you should have the updated Stock ROM + new firmware. Reboot back into recovery and make a backup and flash any new updated ROM you want.

The only other way of doing this will cause you to lose HBOOT 1.4 and make your rooting life worse by a large degree. The way I just described is a much easier/faster way of doing it and gets you the same results.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! That's pretty much what I was looking for. I needed someone to tell me if the way I originally posted was right or not and if not what was the right way. So thank you for that. I've been trying to find out the right way to do this so I'd get the right end result without ruining my phone in some way. I've been wanting to get this done for days now but didn't want to do it until I knew exactly what I was doing. Every time I thought knew someone posted something else saying that what I thought I knew was wrong. LOL What you posted sounds right to me based on everything I've read in the past 6 months. I've read a ridiculous amount of forum posts trying to learn as much as I can about my phone and rooting, etc.
There's just so much info out there for hboot 1.5 that it makes it hard to find what I need for 1.4. I'm gonna copy what you wrote in the previous post so I'll have the info and not have to go looking for it again. LOL I really appreciate the time you took to type that out for me.

I have a problem though. The dev-host site seems to be down. I tried to download the odexed 2.17 Stock ROM but it says it can't connect. For the hell of it, I tried to download the deodexed one as well and I got the same result. I tried it on my laptop & my phone. Do you know of anywhere else I can get that file?

Looks like their servers are down, you will have to wait to see if anyone has a mirror, when I get to work later i will check around for you. ;)

THANK YOU SO MUCH! That's pretty much what I was looking for. I needed someone to tell me if the way I originally posted was right or not and if not what was the right way. So thank you for that. I've been trying to find out the right way to do this so I'd get the right end result without ruining my phone in some way. I've been wanting to get this done for days now but didn't want to do it until I knew exactly what I was doing. Every time I thought knew someone posted something else saying that what I thought I knew was wrong. LOL What you posted sounds right to me based on everything I've read in the past 6 months. I've read a ridiculous amount of forum posts trying to learn as much as I can about my phone and rooting, etc.
There's just so much info out there for hboot 1.5 that it makes it hard to find what I need for 1.4. I'm gonna copy what you wrote in the previous post so I'll have the info and not have to go looking for it again. LOL I really appreciate the time you took to type that out for me.

I have a problem though. The dev-host site seems to be down. I tried to download the odexed 2.17 Stock ROM but it says it can't connect. For the hell of it, I tried to download the deodexed one as well and I got the same result. I tried it on my laptop & my phone. Do you know of anywhere else I can get that file?

Thanks. I can't believe I finally get the info I need to get this done and when I try to get the last file I need, the site is down. But that tends to be my luck so I guess I shouldn't be surprised, just irritated. LOL Once I get this file I'm gonna make sure I have a couple of copies of it just in case!

We will find it for you, off to work, when I get there I will look around

I can create a mirror, but I tried to do it from my phone. And well...the connection timed out after 13%. So I'll have to wait until I get home and upload it via my PC. I'll PM the link to you, as it'll be out of my box account and not an actual mirror site (I hate those damn sites).

Yep, I do also, I tried finding it quickly here while at work, but all links are dead also.

I can create a mirror, but I tried to do it from my phone. And well...the connection timed out after 13%. So I'll have to wait until I get home and upload it via my PC. I'll PM the link to you, as it'll be out of my box account and not an actual mirror site (I hate those damn sites).

Looks like box.net only lets you upload files up to 100MB. So I'm uploading via dev-host.org. 50% uploaded.

I'm also watching Netflix while doing this, so my modem probably hates me right about now.

Edit: And my ISP dropped out right after the file finished. But I have the link:

http://dev-host.org/cs4

Amazing how this file could not been found anywhere when looking for it today, hard to believe their weren't other mirrors out there.

Looks like box.net only lets you upload files up to 100MB. So I'm uploading via dev-host.org. 50% uploaded.

I'm also watching Netflix while doing this, so my modem probably hates me right about now.

Edit: And my ISP dropped out right after the file finished. But I have the link:

Dev-Host.org - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Everything I saw just linked to the original mirrors. Unfortunately, I didn't have more of the files. I only had the stock ROM because of my flashing guide :p

You guys are the best!! I really appreciate ALL of your help! I'm gonna make an attempt at getting this done tonight. Since you guys have been helping me for days now I'll let you know how it works out. This is only my second time flashing a ROM and my first time restoring a backup so hopefully all will go as planned.

Oh and of course by the time I got back on here to check out your progress jerofld, the original download link was back up. But I definitely think there needs to be a mirror anyway, however in this case since it's on the same site it probably wouldn't be of much help if the entire site was down for maintenance again. Thank you anyway! I appreciate everything and I know I keep saying that but it's because I'm learning a lot from reading the forums, especially from the two of you DonB and jerofld.

So this morning I followed the steps jerofld gave me and it went perfectly. No issues at all. I'm now running MeanROM 2.2 and its incredibly fast. Thanks for the help guys!

Now, get back flashing as I posted the 2.4 update for MeanRom, LOL Happy Flashing, if you know what I mean, lol ;)

So this morning I followed the steps jerofld gave me and it went perfectly. No issues at all. I'm now running MeanROM 2.2 and its incredibly fast. Thanks for the help guys!

Back
Top Bottom