• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Rooting EVO3D with no "phone" account

molioman

Lurker
I have an HTC Evo 3D (android 4.0.3) that's no longer being used (I've moved to a Nexus 4 and a T-Mobile plan). I don't want to use the EVO as a 'phone' any longer, but as a wifi/GPS/music player, etc.

All of this works OK with the stock setup, but I'd like to try rooting it. Is there anything about it no longer being connected to Sprint (or any carrier) that will cause me problems? A lot of the beginner posts I've seen start by referring to the carrier, but since I won't be using one on this phone, wondering what's the best way to begin?

Thanks for any direction!

M

The reason we refer to carriers is because there can be differences in the rooting methods. For example the Evo V is the exact same phone on Virgin Mobile, but some of the files used are slightly different.

You should be good to go. You can get root on any HTC device by using the htcDev bootloader unlock. Now the unlock alone will not give you root but will allow you to perform the necessary steps to get root. A full walkthrough of this process can be found here: http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3...shing-evo-3d-roms-kernels-using-fastboot.html

Now if you want s-off on the phone, you will want to stop after unlocking the bootloader and skip straight to the s-off directions here: Unlimited.IO

S-off will give you far more freedom. You will be able to try out jellybean roms on your 3vo. With just the bootloader unlock and root, you will only be able to use icecream sandwich roms.

TL;DR - Yes, you can still root without a carrier contract.

Great, thanks for the help Brian! I'm looking forward to giving this a try!

M

The reason we refer to carriers is because there can be differences in the rooting methods. For example the Evo V is the exact same phone on Virgin Mobile, but some of the files used are slightly different.

You should be good to go. You can get root on any HTC device by using the htcDev bootloader unlock. Now the unlock alone will not give you root but will allow you to perform the necessary steps to get root. A full walkthrough of this process can be found here: http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3...shing-evo-3d-roms-kernels-using-fastboot.html

Now if you want s-off on the phone, you will want to stop after unlocking the bootloader and skip straight to the s-off directions here: Unlimited.IO

S-off will give you far more freedom. You will be able to try out jellybean roms on your 3vo. With just the bootloader unlock and root, you will only be able to use icecream sandwich roms.

TL;DR - Yes, you can still root without a carrier contract.

Back
Top Bottom