• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] S-off wire trick problem

I have hboot 1.58 s-on rooted and on stock. I want to get s-off and I tried the wire trick but when it attempts it, it says "Secondary backup failed!!" Does anyone know how I can get past this and move on to getting s-off?

Problems before the Wire Trick:

1. ControlBears says "backup failed."
    • This is often caused by a Custom ROM or having HTC Sync installed on your PC.
  2. ControlBear says "secondary backup failed."
    • This is often caused by a Custom ROM or having HTC Sync installed on your PC.

Taken from the unlimited.io troubleshooting page.

You may need to run the RUU and return completely to stock/unrooted and then attempt the wire trick.

Is there somewhere that will show me how to do that?

Do you still need help with this? There's a popular RUU thread over in the EVO V forum that will give you insight, but I think you're going to need a different RUU file, so be sure to ask the guides for a link to the RUU you need. Do not proceed with this using the Virgin Mobile RUU.

http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-all-things-root/561781-evo-v-4g-ruu-flashing-guide-unroot-guide.html

There's also probably a step by step guide in this forum similar to the one I linked to, but I'm not very familiar with this forum. Search for "ruu" and see what you turn up.

Incase you didn't know, the EVO V and EVO 3D are the same phone. There are slight differences in firmware, and other software, but as far as hardware is concerned, they're identical. Given the recent OTA update we just got, some things have changed for us, but I think EVO 3D users aren't affected.

Back
Top Bottom