• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] S-On/S-Off

Nalej

Jun 1, 2012
Penn State
I have been toying with my 3VO for the first time and was looking at my hboot menu.
It says "unlocked" at the top and next to it, it says S-Off.
All phones stock come S-On, no? I bought this phone off of eBay so it's possible the prior user did it.

My question is... is that a reliable place to check if the phone is S-On or S-off? Can I check it somewhere else?

(I was going to attempt the wire trick when I saw this. It'll be highly convenient if this is the case)

The bigger question here, when you purchased it off eBay, did the seller tell you it was rooted, also what else was done to the phone, BC since you are S-Off you should not have the issues you are having flashing Roms, I noticed in your other thread you are having issue with certain Roms. ;)

I have been toying with my 3VO for the first time and was looking at my hboot menu.
It says "unlocked" at the top and next to it, it says S-Off.
All phones stock come S-On, no? I bought this phone off of eBay so it's possible the prior user did it.

My question is... is that a reliable place to check if the phone is S-On or S-off? Can I check it somewhere else?

(I was going to attempt the wire trick when I saw this. It'll be highly convenient if this is the case)

Upvote 0
lol,i would actually be a bit disapointed to find my device to be allready s-off. :p for me the thrill of the hunt is a big part of it-i love going thru a process to downgrade or run a tool or whatever it takes to turn on to off :D this is prolly a big reason i keep collecting different devices :eek:

at any rate,glad it worked out for you,i wish wed known it sooner and you wouldnt have really had to do the whole htcdev unlock bit.

also,this is exactly why i always recomend that folks with rooted phones leave them s-off if they decide to sell them. i alot of cases the buyer will never know,care or be affected... but the few that end up inthe hands of someone who knows what s-off is are generally happy to find it :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
The bigger question here, when you purchased it off eBay, did the seller tell you it was rooted, also what else was done to the phone, BC since you are S-Off you should not have the issues you are having flashing Roms, I noticed in your other thread you are having issue with certain Roms. ;)

When I got the phone, it was all back to stock as far as I could tell.
In my limited experience, I've only flashed two different ROMS (both from the same developer)
One was ICS and the other JB. The ICS works perfectly. No issues with that flash.
The JB though remains in a bootloop and I'm sure it's on me since I read through his thread and people are just telling him his bugs. Didn't see anyone struggling to flash it.
Like I've said though, I'm still really new at this so it'd be unrealistic to expect no hiccups :)

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
lol,i would actually be a bit disapointed to find my device to be allready s-off. :p for me the thrill of the hunt is a big part of it-i love going thru a process to downgrade or run a tool or whatever it takes to turn on to off :D this is prolly a big reason i keep collecting different devices :eek:

at any rate,glad it worked out for you,i wish wed known it sooner and you wouldnt have really had to do the whole htcdev unlock bit.

also,this is exactly why i always recomend that folks with rooted phones leave them s-off if they decide to sell them. i alot of cases the buyer will never know,care or be affected... but the few that end up inthe hands of someone who knows what s-off is are generally happy to find it :smokingsomb:

I have to say I agree with this. I think I would be disappointed to not be able to do it myself... :p But that's just me. The fun part to me is learning the process. I'm glad there was no one-click method left by the time I got rooted because then I wouldn't have learned anything!!

Upvote 0
I have to say I agree with this. I think I would be disappointed to not be able to do it myself... :p But that's just me. The fun part to me is learning the process. I'm glad there was no one-click method left by the time I got rooted because then I wouldn't have learned anything!!

i just picked up a factory s-off tegra 3 one x. while its cool to run any ruu and change things as i see fit,it honestly is not quite the fun that i have when ive turned s-off meself :D

ive turned s off back to on,then off again 3 times now on my gsm 3vo in making the 1.49 .0018 hboot downgrade work,making a guide,then trying to downgrade 1.5 hboot :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones