• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Changing default locale? Help please :)

Somsri

Lurker
I just bought an unlocked HTC Desire from Hong Kong. I haven't put a sim card in it yet as I'm waiting for my old plan to live out its contract, but I couldn't resist having a play with the Desire in the mean time

Because I bought it from overseas I can only seem to set my default language as English and then in brackets many Asian country options, eg English (Thailand) and English (Singapore). This would be fine except it is becoming frustrating when typing because all of the predictive text etc has many Asian characters in it and I'm struggling to write accurately.
I've tried turning off predictive text and 'check invalid sequence', but it doesnt seem to work?

I also tried downloading the application 'more locale 2' which had english (australian) but it doesnt seem to affect the keyboard.

Does anyone have any advice regarding how to change the initial language setting? Is there any chance that when I put an Australian sim card into it the language options will change?

Thanks so much

The sim card wouldn't change the language.

I got mine from hk as well and I have no problem with it. You can change the keyboard settings to english and wouldn't get the Asian language involved.

Or you can run "setup" again and hope it works.

If you're only having some problems with the keyboard, consider something like Swype or another keyboard alternative.

Installed 'Better Keyboard' reviewed here Android Central's Keyboard Roundup | Android Central

I would probably stick with the HTC Sense keyboard if it didnt have the Chinese toggle button, but otherwise Better Keyboard is awesome. ThickButtons is also quite cool.

Doesn't solve the locale problem: but mine is also made in HK, set to English (Singapore), have better keyboard doing the work, and I haven't seen a piece of Chinese script since.

i need help with my desire HD, it only shows me three english options namely: emirates, egypt and saudi arabia. i cant text...at all. the keypad is arabic but the rest of the is in english...PLEASE HELP!!! oh and i live in south africa

Back
Top Bottom