• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

changing from Eris...questions

mom22boys

May 15, 2010
I am looking to upgrade from my Eris. I am tired of not being able to use it as a phone! No it is not rooted.
My questions about the Incredible...does it work good as a phone, is it on android 2.2, will it continue to get updates, can I save apps to the sd card, can I use the same battery or does it have a good extended battery?

thanks for the help!!!

Rooting the DInc is fairly easy, but you do have to be able to read and follow directions well (no slight intended there). There is some setup to do on the computer before you can root your phone. Actually rooting the phone is EASY - run a program and sit back and watch. You'll spend all of your time downloading necessary things so that you're computer can 'talk' to the phone (you run a program on the computer that actually roots the phone via USB).

Upvote 0
The above is true if you are rooting from a pc, if you have a mac it's very simple, no need to download drivers. Just put unrevoked on it and plug in your phone.

I had an Eris and loved it, but now that i'm on the Inc I could never go back. It's so much snappier in all areas, especially as a phone (the lag on the Eris drove me crazy).

All in all, you should definitely switch. I love my Inc and will stick with it for the next year or so, but if your looking to buy you might as well go with the Thunderbolt next month, or wait for Inc2. But even if you decide to get the current Inc you won't go wrong.

Upvote 0
I couldn't get Swype to install under my original beta ID, I tried downloading a new installed and redownloading the program (multiple times). Ultimately I had to fill out a new beta request using a different email account. When I downloaded the installed on my new account everything worked just fine. Not sure why I had the problem, but it worked out in the end and Swype is working nicely on the DInc.

Upvote 0
I came from the Eris too. I grew tired of how slow it was and like you pointed out, was not very good at being a phone either. Once I rooted it, it became a whole new phone. It was fun again. Rooting the Eris opened up a whole new world for me. That said: I got a good deal on a Dinc on craigslist and had it rooted within 2 hours. No comparison whatsoever. I never ran it non-rooted but I imagine that was light years faster too.

I would either 1) get a Dinc, root it and don't look back for a couple of years. The dev's love this phone. GREAT phone. Or 2) wait, (like someone pointed out) on the ThunderBolt and do said rooting.

Upvote 0
The worst thing about Verizon is their stores. Oh, and customer service can be a moronic experience at times, too.

I like Verizon's stores. Ok...Like's a bit strong. But I've usually found them helpful (ok, keep an eye out for the CSR's who have no idea what they are talking about/doing. But if I need to, I don't think it's hard to get the good ones to help you with your problem) and fast. Far better than T-Mobile. It's always crowded, with 2.6 people working maximum, no organization for the customers, and nobody has any idea what they are doing.

Basically, in human terms I'd agree that Verizon Stores are horrible. But for a mobile phone store, they're pretty good.

Upvote 0
I should probably add the caveat that I only have experience with two stores and the one here in Myrtle Beach SC is horrendous. Hour waits seem to be the norm.

I guess I'm only comparing 1 Verizon Store to a pair of T-Mobile stores. Maybe I'm just lucky...(or those TMO stores just suck. I know the one is the only one for an hour in any direction).

Upvote 0
sorry, I do have more questions!!

The sd card in my Eris is 8G, should I install it in the Dinc instead of the 2G that comes with it? if so, what do i need to do to it so that it will work correct?
Also, I have read that the Eris battery will work in the Incredible...is that correct?

Both are correct (well, assuming you don't need the 8gig card for something else). you could just plug the card in and it should work. But I'd probably back everything you don't want to erase and format the card (plug it in the incredible, go to menu-> storage and select format sd card.

And you can use the eris's battery.

Upvote 0
sorry, I do have more questions!!

The sd card in my Eris is 8G, should I install it in the Dinc instead of the 2G that comes with it? if so, what do i need to do to it so that it will work correct?
Also, I have read that the Eris battery will work in the Incredible...is that correct?

This was all ansered above correctly. I did exactly that. I just swapped out my extended battery and the 8gb card from the eris to the Dinc. I sold my Eris to gazelle.com and they got a 2gb card with a stock Eris battery.

I backed up my card on my computer, swapped them out and booted each one. NP.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones