• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Changing ROMS

Bankswood

Android Expert
I am presently on Apex 1.3 and really like it. I have done my share of tweaking it like removing the clock, differnet keyboard, and all the notification icons. I also have done alot to my LPP screens. I have been wanting to try GummyJar just for the experience but don't want to go through redoing all my icons, etc. if and when I go back to Apex. If I do a backup of my present setup of Apex 1.3 will it restore with all my modifications or do I have to start over.

There are two kinds of backups....

• file-based, like Titanium, MyBackup, etc
  • image-based, like recovery.

I have the pro versions of the file backup apps and they backup once a week.

Recovery backs up your entire phone as it is today, to the sd card. You should have a couple backups of stock, plus Apex w/o a theme already, along with an occasional backup, just in case your X takes a dump.

Rom manager makes managing you backups easy, so you can create, rename, delete, review them easily.

This is what my backups looked like in RM:

apex_rom_manager.jpg

Colchiro, you are way to organized. Every time I see that screenshot it reminds me I never backed up my stock rom after the OTA. I'm thinking of SBFing back to stock .340 making a backup and then flashing another rom.

I'm thinking of going back to stock and doing a clean install of Apex 1.3.1. Is there anything special I should do before restoring my nandroid?

If I'm restoring Apex over Apex or stock over stock, I just do it. If I'm restoring Apex over a different rom, I clear the cache and format before. Might be overkill, but what can you do.

Why go back to stock to install a clean 1.3.1? When you go into recovery,wipe cache,date,and install from zip....when you wipe them it didnt matter if you were on stock or anything else,it wipes it out...to install your nandroid....just go in ROM manager and hit restore....

Why go back to stock to install a clean 1.3.1? When you go into recovery,wipe cache,date,and install from zip....when you wipe them it didnt matter if you were on stock or anything else,it wipes it out...to install your nandroid....just go in ROM manager and hit restore....

Im just being cautious but im guessing im being a little too cautious?

Just to make sure I seem to be doing every thing with just about every precaution the process for me to flash Apex 1.3.1 would be to:

1. Clear data and cache
2. Flash stock nandroid
3. Clear data and cache once more
4. Flash Apex

No need to clear data going from stock to Apex. Clearing data will mean you'll lose your apps and data. Your paid apps will be available from Market tho.

I just updated my stock OTA nandroid and loaded Rubix Blurry 2.3.320 right over stock w/o clearing data. Except for the boot animation, it looked just like stock after booting.

No need to clear data going from stock to Apex. Clearing data will mean you'll lose your apps and data. Your paid apps will be available from Market tho.

I just updated my stock OTA nandroid and loaded Rubix Blurry 2.3.320 right over stock w/o clearing data. Except for the boot animation, it looked just like stock after booting.

Well in Fab's instructions he does state to clear data and cache. I'll just make sure my Appbrain's up to date I guess.

Well in Fab's instructions he does state to clear data and cache. I'll just make sure my Appbrain's up to date I guess.

Directions for 1.3.0 said it was optional.

Could always restore your backup and do it again tho.

where do you select these options?

1. Clear data and cache
2. Flash stock nandroid (this is your backup. If you're already stock you can skip these two steps)

3. Clear data and cache once more (it's an option in recovery and rom manager just before you flash)
4. Flash Apex

If you do a fresh back up in TiBU just before flashing another ROM, once you're new ROM is installed just go into TiBU and restore all apps and data. For instance when I flash a new ROM I go into TiBU and restore my 'Go Launcher' and everything on my home screens goes back to the way it was when I backed it up... except for my widgets. For some reason widgets don't save in back ups.

If you do a fresh back up in TiBU just before flashing another ROM, once you're new ROM is installed just go into TiBU and restore all apps and data. For instance when I flash a new ROM I go into TiBU and restore my 'Go Launcher' and everything on my home screens goes back to the way it was when I backed it up... except for my widgets. For some reason widgets don't save in back ups.

How do I do this? I never used TiBU to backup before lol

They both have free versions so easy to install and check out.

Titanium is good for restoring one app or data for one app or both. Also pro version can freeze an app (bloat), even uninstall it.

I use MBP to restore call/text logs, contacts, etc., primarily b/c I've never used Titanium to do that (but suspect you can).

If you're only going to use one, Titanium is the better of the two. Pro version gets you more backups, not just one.

Both backup quickly.

How do I do this? I never used TiBU to backup before lol

Its not a feature in TiBu go into your LPP settings and there should be an option to backup... run that option and when you re-install LPP on the new ROM it will restore your screens.

You guys have no idea how many ROMs I flashed without knowing this was an option I rebuilt my home screens from scratch SOO many times lol

Back
Top Bottom