• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Changing the default voice. Can it be done?

Etrogann

I have been playing around with the different 'siri' clones on androids and noticed that most of them use the same default voice as the navigation. I mute navigation but that kinda ruins the voice search experience. :)
So does anyone know of a way to change the voice? Would you be able to download another voice from say, tomtom or other GPS site, and use it?

you can update androids default TTS voice from the pico engine

need vox or some other app, i dont remember what it was called, most of the really GOOD voices are paid addons to a paid app

but yes you can replace it,

it works across the entire OS, not just the siri clone, so its a good investment if you use that kind of thing alot.

I just found both of those programs using the keywords TTS and VOX in the appstore. they both look like exactly what I wanted.
Thank you both, very much.

I like the "IVONA Amy UK English" voice. It is a lot more pleasant sounding that the rather deep "IVONA Kendra US English" voice. I wish they had the Amy voice in US English instead of the Kendra voice. I think Kendra is a smoker. :)

the UK voices always sound better. i think its becuase we see movies where the computers voice (talking cars and computers like iron mans suit and what not) are all UK voices, so it seems more natural that when a device of some kind talks, it should sound like that

i like to imagine im a secret agent when my phone reads me text messages in a UK voice :P

FWIW:
A long time ago, I went with SVOX and the U.S. Gracie voice. In Google Nav, that voice sounds pretty natural. I also use the same voice in a program by Tecarta: NIV Bible. The Bible is a pretty challenging dictation source. SVOX does a pretty good job there as well. Over the past year or so, the voice has been updated a few times. I consider that a good sign. I have not tried the voice with a PDF reader or general eBook Reader program. If someone might suggest one, I'd give that a try.
As always, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom